To measure for a stretch/expandable style bracelet, hold the hand and fingers extended with the thumb cupped in then measure around the widest part of the hand.
If you are unable to measure the recipient, the average small size is approximately 7-inches and stretches to 8-inches. A charm can be added at any place in the design. Consider adding the charm to a jumpring then placing the jumpring onto the bracelet after it is completed.
If you are designing a bracelet with a clasp, measure around the widest section of the wrist and remember to include the overall clasp length into your measurements. The charm can be added at the clasp using a jumpring. To make the design adjustable so it can be worn smaller than 7 inches and then beyond 7 inches, consider incorporating a length of chain at the end of the design so the bracelet length ranges from 6 to 7-1/2 inches.
As for bead size, consider 6mm or 8mm pearls with 6mm or 4mm crystals.
For a simple formula to calculate how many beads needed:
1-inch = 2.54cm = 25.4mm (1cm = 10mm). Multiply the length of the bracelet by 25.4 and divide by the size of the beads in millimeters.
- 7-inch bracelet made with 4mm beads: Number of beads = 7x25.4/4 = 44.5
- 7-inch bracelet made with 6mm beads: Number of beads = 7x25.4/6 = 29.6
- 7-inch bracelet made with 8mm beads: Number of beads = 7x25.4/8 = 22.2
Note: Since beads may be irregular, this number is approximate.
If you are knotting between the beads, factor in 1 to 2mm for each knot, depending on the thickness of the thread.
Deciding where to add a charm will depend on the bracelet design. Attaching the charm to a jumpring will allow you to add the charm into the stringing pattern and allow for proper orientation of the charm. Depending on the style of clasp used, using a jumpring to attach the charm to the clasp is another popular design option.
- Michelle Wood, Jewelry-Making Expert
- ''Bracelet with Dione™ Glass Beads, Czech Fire-Polished Glass Beads and Christmas Charm'' project
- ''Stretchy Cord Bracelet'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Hand Knotting Pearls'' how-to video and instructions