Pearls of Wisdom
Wedding project ideas and style how-tos for brides, bridal jewelry designers and wedding planners.
Pearls of Wisdom Wedding Countdown
Wedding planning made easy. Print the wedding countdown checklist and carry it with you as a planning guide for your Big Day.
9-12 months before
- Announce your engagement.
- Arrange for parents to get together.
- Decide on a date.
- Visit the Timeless Styles wedding trends on the Fire Mountain Gems and Beads website to get the latest wedding jewelry style information.
- Discuss your budget with everyone who'll be contributing to the event.
- Interview wedding planners, if using one.
- Choose the ceremony site and meet with the officiant.
- Work on the guest list to get a rough head count.
- Visit reception sites and reserve one.
- Shop for your gown.
6-9 months before
- Choose your wedding party.
- Select a caterer.
- Start designing your bridal jewelry. Visit the wedding design gallery on the Fire Mountain Gems and Beads website for inspiration.
- Order your wedding gown.
- Shop for bridal party dresses.
- Pick a photographer and/or videographer.
- Hire a florist.
- Decide on a wedding theme and tablescape.
- Book the musicians and/or DJ.
- Start researching honeymoon spots.
- Mail save-the-dates.
- Enroll in a bridal-gift registry and in Fire Mountain Gems and Beads' online Favorites Center.
4-6 months before
- Order wedding stationery and book a calligrapher, if using one.
- Shop for the wedding cake.
- Place your wedding jewelry order with Fire Mountain Gems and Beads. Go to the Beads and Brides section where your wedding supplies are at your fingertips, making ordering a breeze.
- Hire wedding-day transportation.
- Book your favorite beauty professionals for the big day.
- Scout accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Complete the guest list.
- Start planning your honeymoon and make travel and accommodation reservations.
- Arrange the rehearsal dinner.
- Shop for tablescape and placeholder items.
2-4 months before
- Shop for and order your wedding bands from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads.
- Call the county clerk's office to find out about marriage-license requirements.
- Order tuxedos for the groom and groomsmen.
- Meet with the caterer or banquet manager to discuss menus, service style, wine selections, etc.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Select ceremony and reception music.
- Buy thank-you gift certificates to Fire Mountain Gems and Beads for your attendants.
- Select favors and welcome baskets.
- Meet with party-rental companies, if necessary.
- Book a room for your wedding night.
4-8 weeks before
- Mail invitations 6 to 8 weeks ahead of the wedding date.
- Do a hair and makeup run-through with your headpiece. (Did you know you can buy tiaras from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads?).
- Decide on any insurance-policy changes you'll need.
2-4 weeks before
- Plot the seating for the reception.
- Confirm details with the photographer, florist, etc.
- Have your final dress fitting.
- Write your rehearsal-dinner toast.
1 week before
- Organize the fees due on the wedding day in separate, labeled envelopes.
- Give the caterer a final head count.
- Appoint a reliable friend to transport the cake knife, toasting glasses or other heirlooms to and from the reception site.
- Get final beauty treatments (facial, waxing, tanning, etc.) of your choice.
- Pack for the honeymoon. (Ask someone to bring your luggage to the reception if you're leaving from there.)
If you have a question or feedback on this Pearls of Wisdom article, or would like to share your own wedding project idea, please contact us here.