Pearls of Wisdom
Wedding project ideas and style how-tos for brides, bridal jewelry designers and wedding planners.
One April morning in 1999, I woke to discover that the wedding I had dreamed about since I was a little girl would never happen. My father--my beloved Daddy--had a heart attack the previous night and never recovered. That dream, of him walking me proudly down the aisle, had vanished forever.
Then we lost my mom to cancer. And I had the heart-rending realization that the place where the Parents of the Bride were supposed to stand ... was forever going to be empty.
Balancing Joy and Sorrow
Losing your parents is a profoundly life-changing experience. Their absence echoes during important milestones afterwards: graduation, the births of your children and, yes, your wedding. Balancing that deep sorrow with the joy of your wedding day can require a delicate touch.
There are a number of ways to honor and remember missing family members during your wedding:
- Leave empty chairs at the front, and place a rose on each seat
- Set up candles, tied with ribbon hung with beads or charms spelling their names (or "Mom" and "Dad"). Light the candles as part of the ceremony or reception.
- Wear your mother's wedding dress or veil--or carry your dad's handkerchief. (You might need it.)
- Add an in memoriam to your wedding program:"Today we honor those who cannot be with us, especially the bride's parents ..."
- If your ceremony is taking place at the same church where they were laid to rest, the bride can lay her bouquet on their grave(s)
I have a lock of my dad's hair set in ICE Resin®, and pictures of my parents on their wedding day. These personal touchstones fit perfectly inside a large locket that I can wear down the aisle and let me feel that my mom and dad are still near me on this happiest of days.
Remember your loved ones with ...
- Heart Lockets
- Affirmation charms
- Alphabet beads and charms
- Silk cord
- Satin cord
- Omni Gel
- ICE Resin
- ''Style Snapshot: Lockets of Love'' article
- ''Fingerprint Jewelry'' article
- ''Suggested Birthstones'' chart
- ''Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal Beads and Pearls, Brass-Colored Charms and Focals and Chain'' project
- ''Triple-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Personalized Brass Focals and Drops, SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS and Chain'' project
- ''Using Omni-Gel™ Photo Transfer Liquid'' illustrated instructions
- View locket and picture frame design inspirations in the Gallery of Designs