Bib-Style Necklace with SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS and Acrylic Focal
-- Designer --
Kristal Wick, Jewelry Designer and Instructor and SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS AmbassadorTo learn more about Kristal Wick, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
Bib-style necklaces are all the rage on the runway these days. From Valentino to Kate Spade, every fashion forward designer has a line. Create your own custom necklace using sparkly Swarovski crystals, sure to please fashionistas across the globe.
Using a paper towel, apply Gilders Paste® onto a sheet of Lacy’s Stiff Stuff™. Colors used in Project CA0J are metallic silver (the base) and a metallic antique gold (blended into the silver). Allow to dry
Using scissors, cut the painted sheet in half and cut a scoop on one of the sheets starting and ending one inch from each side.
Audition your components on the bib until you’re happy with the design.
Note: If you’re using buttons with a shank, cut off the shanks so they lie flat. File shank edges if rough.
Using Jewel Bond™, glue down the following components in the following manner: in the center of the Lacy’s Stiff Stuff, place the acrylic white and black go-go; in the opening of the black and white go-go, place a 12x8mm crystal rondelle; covering the hole in the rondelle, place a 4mm jet chaton; and in the small stringing hole of the black and white go-go, place a 2.4mm crystal AB chaton.
Tip: Use a toothpick to apply glue to the back of each component making sure you apply the glue liberally. It will dry clear so no worries if a bit seeps out from the edges. Scrape off any excess glue on the crystals with a toothpick before it dries.
Glue the crystals and components in your pattern to the right of the center focal assembly.
Pattern used in Project CA0J:
- 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring, 14mm jet cosmic ring placed in the center of the 30mm cosmic ring and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 14mm jet cosmic ring
- 25mm jet disk and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 25mm jet disk
- 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed on the right side of the 25mm jet disk
- 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed between the 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring and the black and white go-go
- 20mm crystal copper ring placed under the black and white go-go and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 20mm ring
- 20x20mm jet square ring to the right of the 20mm crystal copper ring; 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 20x20mm jet square ring
- 12x8mm crystal copper rondelle placed to the right of the 20x20mm jet square ring and a 4mm jet chaton placed in the center hole of the 12x8mm rondelle
- 14x14mm jet square ring placed below the meet point of the 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring and the 25mm jet disk pendant and a 3.9mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the square ring
Note: If needed, you can sew on the heavier stones using needle and thread.
Using a pencil, trace around your design leaving a 1/4 inch border between the line and the components. Using scissors, cut along the line.
Place this layer (the front) on top of the other half (the back) of Lacy’s Stiff Stuff. Trace around the front to create the pattern for the back; using scissors cut out the pattern. Cut two pieces of ribbon, each 22 inches long.
Apply a liberal amount of The Ultimate Adhesive onto the back of the bib. Place 1-1/2 inches of one end of one piece of ribbon into the glue at one corner at the start of the scoop. Apply more glue to the top of the ribbon. Repeat on the other side using the other length of ribbon.
Wear your necklace by tying the ribbons in a bow around your neck.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please describe your project (ie: necklace, bracelet, home décor) and include the main components of your design, if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels (or 6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a light background and light artwork on a dark background.
- For additional photography tips, click here.