Single-Strand Necklace with Swarovski Crystal, Wirework and Organza Ribbon
-- Designer --
Sandra Lupo, Jewelry Designer and Instructor and Swarovski crystal AmbassadorTo learn more about Sandra Lupo, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
Forming Twist Ties
Using one 6-inch length of wire, thread on a Swarovski fern green 4mm round bead, a 4-inch green coil from Step 1 and a Swarovski fern green 4mm round bead. Use looping pliers or heavy-duty round-nose pliers to form simple loops on each end to create a "twist tie." Repeat to create 6 then set them aside.
- Be sure to use heavy-duty cutters when cutting stainless steel wire--standard flush-cutters may work but the blades will likely be damaged
- Heavy-duty round-nose pliers or looping pliers will make it easier to turn the stainless steel wire
Forming Simple Coils
- Four 3-inch coils
- Four 4-inch coils
- Four 5-inch coils
- Three 6-inch coils
Forming Complex CoilsStainless steel 22-gauge wire is used as a core wire to transform simple coils into complex coils.
Tip: The required length of core wire needed will differ depending on the length of the simple coil. Work the core wire (22 gauge) uncut from its bundle. You will likely use from 1 to 2 feet for each core wire needed to form the complex coils.
Repeat three times to complete four small complex coil links. Set aside.
Repeat to create four mid-size complex coils using the 4-inch simple coils. Repeat to create four large complex coils using the 5-inch simple coils.
Continuing with the same wire end, pass it through the first bicone bead and complex coil strung so the end exits the second bicone bead and the coils are formed into somewhat of a closed circle.
Tighten up the 26-gauge wire and hand form curves in the complex coils to shape into an oval link. Make certain all 26-gauge wire is tightened then wrap the wires several times next to the bicone bead. Trim the wire ends after the wire has been secured.
Tip: If there is any trouble laying down the wrapping wire, make an overhand knot to secure the placement for the first wrap, then make several wraps and trim the wire ends.
- Repeat Step 6 to form the other two small complex coils into a link
- Repeat Step 6 using 6 inches of 26-gauge wire, two midsize complex coils and two Swarovski light Siam 8mm bicone bead to form a midsize link. Create two.
- Repeat Step 6 using 6 inches of 26-gauge wire, two large complex coils and two Swarovski light Siam 8mm bicone bead to form a large link. Create two.
Forming the Center Bar and Dangle Link
Insert the 2-1/2 inch red simple coil made in Step 3 through the length of an elongated coil.
If needed, trim the red coil so you have enough stainless steel wire left to hold two beads and form a simple loop on the other end. Repeat adding the beads and forming the loop. Set aside.
Attach one 9mm jumpring from Step 7 to the center of the center bar from Step 8 and connect it to the top center of the dangle link.
Joining the Chain of LinksAll of the formed parts are now ready to be assembled with the twist ties made in Step 2.
Repeat connecting the midsize link to the largest link. Attach a twist tie to the lower part of the largest link in a decorative twist. Open one 9mm red jumpring and attach it to the lower part of the largest link in between the twist tie wrap. Attach the same jumpring to the simple loop on one end of the center bar. Close the jumpring securely.
Repeat Step 11 to form the other side of the necklace. Wind the remaining twist tie around the center bar as a colorful embellishment.
Open a red 9mm jumpring then thread it through a light Siam graphic pendant and through the middle of the topside of the dangle link. Close the jumpring securely.
Finishing the Necklace
Tip: The choice of either the 4.0 or 4.75mm crank rod depends on the width (thickness) of the ribbon that the coil will be covering.
Repeat to form a second coil.
Repeat for the other side of the necklace.
Optional Embellishment for the Graphic Pendant
Form a loose coil with this twist tie and add it to the 9mm jumpring that joins the pendant to the dangle link.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (ie: necklace, bracelet, home décor) and include the main components of your design, if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels (or 6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a light background and light artwork on a dark background.
- For additional photography tips, click here.