Bib-Style Necklace and Earring Set with Black Onyx Gemstone Beads, Swarovski Crystal Components and Antiqued Silver-Plated Brass Links
Vintage Flair Necklace and Earrings
-- Designer --
Kristal Wick, Jewelry Designer and Instructor and Swarovski crystal Ambassador
To learn more about Kristal Wick, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, jet, 3mm Xilion bicone (50 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, cyclamen opal, 3mm Xilion bicone (68 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, violet opal, 4mm Xilion bicone (72 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, violet AB, 6mm Xilion bicone (35 beads)
- Bead, black onyx, 5x3mm faceted rondelle (34 beads)
- Bead, black onyx, 14mm faceted round (16 beads)
- Drop, Swarovski crystal, cyclamen opal, 11x5.5mm briolette (25 drops)
- Link, antiqued silver-plated brass, 20x20mm single-sided diamond (38 links)
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, cyclamen opal, foil back, 2.5-2.7mm Xilion round (154 flat backs)
- Crimp, brass, black, 2x1.5mm round (4 crimp beads)
- Jumpring, aluminum, black, 4mm smooth round, 20 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Jumpring, aluminum, black, 4.5mm smooth round, 20 gauge (11 jumprings)
- Jumpring, aluminum, black, 6mm smooth round, 18 gauge (55 jumprings)
- Eyepin, antiqued silver-plated brass, 1-inch, 22 gauge (25 eyepins)
- Headpin, antiqued silver-plated brass, 1-inch, 24 gauge (30 headpins)
- Earwire, sterling silver-filled, 19mm French hoop with open loop, 18 gauge (2 earwires)
- Clasp, toggle, gunmetal pewter, 23x18.5mm single-sided flower (1 clasp)
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, metallic gunmetal, 49 strand, 0.019-inch diameter
- Adhesive, Epoxy, Devcon Jeweler's 2-ton, 30-minute, 2-part
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, crimping
Antiqued silver fancy square links mixed with black onyx and Swarovski cyclamen opal drops make up this elegant vintage-style bib necklace and earring set. The opal crystals give the piece its vintage look with just a dash of that aged sparkle.
||Using 2-part epoxy, adhere four Swarovski crystal cyclamen opal 2.6mm flat backs onto 38 silver links (36 for the necklace as shown and 2 for a matching pair of earrings).
Design Tip: For a different look, you can glue larger flat backs to the fancy links.
||Open the loop on an eyepin and add a Swarovski crystal cyclamen opal briolette; close the loop.
To the straight end of the same eyepin, add one Swarovski crystal 3mm jet bicone, one Swarovski crystal 6mm violet AB bicone and one Swarovski crystal 3mm jet bicone. Form a simple loop to finish the dangle.
Repeat to create 25 crystal drop dangles.
||Onto a headpin, add one Swarovski crystal 3mm cyclamen opal bicone, one small black onyx bead, one Swarovski crystal 4mm violet opal bicone, and one Swarovski crystal 3mm cyclamen opal bicone. Form a simple loop on the end to finish the small dangle. Repeat to create 34 small dangles.
||Open a 6mm black jumpring and add a corner loop of 2 fancy square links. Close the jumpring.
Repeat, using 6mm black jumprings to connect the following total of fancy square links to create the rows for the bib:
Row #1 - 11 links
Row #2 - 9 links
Row #3 - 7 links
Row #5 - 3 links
Row #4 - 5 links
Row #6 - 1 link
||Using 6mm black jumprings, and positioning Row #2 below Row #1 so it's centered (leaving each end link in Row #1 open) connect the top corner loop of the fancy square links in Row #2 to the bottom loops of the fancy square links in Row #1.
Repeat to connect the rows in the order they were created in Step 4.
Add small jumprings to the top loop of each fancy square link in Row #1. Make sure the jumprings are tightly closed.
||Cut a 24" length of Accu-Flex professional-quality beading wire. String onto the beading wire 3 pairs of the following Swarovski crystals: one 4mm violet opal bicone and one 6mm violet AB bicone. String two sets of: one Swarovski crystal 4mm violet opal bicone, one 14mm black onyx bead, one 4mm violet opal bicone and one 6mm violet AB bicone. String one Swarovski crystal 4mm violet opal bicone, one 14mm black onyx bead and one 4mm violet opal bicone.
Pass the beading wire through the first top jumpring of Row #1 then string one 4mm violet opal bicone, one 14mm black onyx bead and one 4mm violet opal bicone. Repeat stringing this set of beads between each jumpring along the top of Row #1.
Continue stringing beads in a pattern to match the first half.
||String 2 crimps onto one end of the beading wire then pass the wire back through both crimps. Pull the wire taut, leaving a small loop at the end of your strand. Crimp both crimps and trim any excess wire. Repeat for the other side, being sure to tighten up the beaded strand so there is little slack along the length of the design.
Tip: Using 2 crimps is always a good idea on heavier necklaces as they offer double security and help in case you don’t get one of the crimps perfectly tight. One crimp = good, two = better!
Using a 4.5mm black jumpring, attach the toggle bar to the loop on one end. Repeat to attach the toggle ring to the other loop.
||Open the loop on the top of one crystal drop dangle (from Step 2) and add it to the corner loop of one fancy square link on the end of Row #1; close the loop. Repeat to add a crystal drop dangle to the bottom loop of the same fancy square link.
Repeat adding a dangle to the side and bottom loop of each fancy square link on the outside edge of the necklace (20 total).
Repeat, adding a crystal drop dangle to each side loop on the fancy square link in Row #6 and one to the bottom center loop.
||Open the loop on the top of one small dangle (from Step 3) and add it to the 4.5mm jumpring connecting two links together in Row #1.
Repeat to add a small dangle to each jumpring used to connect fancy square links together, attaching a total of 30 small dangles.
Open the loop on a crystal drop dangle and add it to the loop on one corner of a fancy square link. Close the loop.
Open the loop on the bottom of an earwire. Add the loop opposite the drop dangle then close the loop on the earwire.
Open the loop on one small dangle then add it to a loop on the side of the fancy square link. Repeat to attach a 2nd small dangle to the loop on the other corner.
Repeat to create the second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.