Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal, Brass Drop and Antiqued Brass-Plated Steel Chain
-- Designer --
Jamie, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Drop, Swarovski crystal and gold-plated brass, crystal clear with silver-foil back, 6x3mm single-stone marquise (1 drop)
- Drop, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated brass, Siam with silver-foil back, 8x4mm single-stone marquise (3 drops)
- Drop, Swarovski crystal and gold-plated brass, aquamarine with silver-foil back, 8x4mm single-stone marquise (1 drop)
- Drop, brass, 28x25mm single-sided rectangle with 23x20mm non-calibrated cabochon setting (1 drop)
- Spacer bar, gold-plated brass, 19x3mm 3-strand rounded rectangle (3 spacer bars)
- Crimp bead, gunmetal-plated brass, 3x2mm tube, 1.5mm inside diameter (3 crimp beads)
- Brad, antiqued brass, 7x4mm flat head, 16 gauge (5 brads)
- Jumpring, antiqued gold-plated brass, 7mm round, 18 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Earwire, antiqued gold-plated brass, 16mm flat fishhook with coil and open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Chain, antiqued brass-plated steel, dark, 2.4mm ball, 27 inches with two connectors
- Stamp punch, tempered chrome vanadium steel, 8mm italic uppercase alphabet letters A-Z and ''and'' symbol, 2-3/4 inches long with 9x9mm square shank
- Fine steel wire brush
- Ball peen hammer
- Bench block, steel, 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/4 inch square
- Hole punch pliers, EURO TOOL
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Place a 3-strand spacer bar 1/8 inch from the top edge of the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop. Use a permanent marker to mark the hole placement on the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop. Using the EURO TOOL® hole punch pliers, punch three 1.25mm holes along the top edge of the drop.
Use a ruler and permanent marker to draw a straight line across the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop 1/4 inch from the bottom edge. Place the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop onto a steel bench block and tape down to keep the drop from moving. Choose the first letter that is going to be used and center it on the line. Hold the punch straight up then hit the end with a flat head of ball peen hammer. Repeat to punch additional letters onto the line. Remove the line from the drop using acetone.
Note: Use with proper ventilation.
Place a brass brad through the middle punched hole on the top of the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop from the back to the front. String onto the brad, one gold-plated 3x2mm tube crimp, the hole on the first crystal drop and the first hole on the 3-strand spacer bar. Using flush-cutters cut the brad about 2mm above the spacer bar and use a ball peen hammer and a steel block to finish the rivet.
Note: Be careful to not hit the crystal drop.
Repeat to attach the first and third crystals between the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop and the 3-strand spacer bar.
Using flush-cutters, cut one 16-inch length of 2.4mm ball chain with the connector attached to one end.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and flat-nose pliers, open a 7mm jumpring. Pass it through the loop on the brass 28x25mm rectangle drop and over the center of the 16-inch length of chain. Close the jumpring.
Repeat to attach a second 7mm jumpring next to the first.
Place a brass brad through the center hole on a 3-strand spacer bar. Using flush-cutters, cut the brad about 2mm above the spacer bar and use a ball peen hammer and a steel block to finish the rivet.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and flat-nose pliers, open a 7mm jumpring. Pass it through the third hole on the 3-strand spacer bar and the loop on the Swarovski 11x4mm marquise Siam crystal drop. Close the jumpring.
Open the loop on an earwire. Pass it through the first hole on the 3-strand spacer bar. Close the loop.
Repeat Steps 1 - 3 to create the second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.