Note about order shipment times: Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is committed to our employees’ and customers’ health and safety, while also getting orders out in a timely manner. Currently we have a 2-4 day processing time for most packages, Monday through Friday,due to increased volume combined with COVID impacts on staffing and restrictions on physical operations. Please allow extra time for weekends. All express shipments are processed same day. You can always check your order status to see when your order is shipped. Our hearts go out to all who have been affected during this pandemic.
Health and Safety Information in regards to COVID-19
Dear Beading Friends,
The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority. As the outbreak of the COVID-19/Coronavirus continues to have an impact throughout the world, we wanted to share some of the actions Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is taking to help maintain a safe environment.
We're closely monitoring local and national reports on the evolving impact of COVID-19.
As a result, we have implemented measures as to who can enter our facilities and are restricting access accordingly, including suspending our public tours. We have suspended business travel and reduced face to face meetings whenever possible. We have increased the frequency and rigor of cleaning and sanitization within the company.
Our inventory levels are still very healthy on most of our products, and orders are going out daily. Orders may not go out as fast as you are used to. We hope you understand, and can bear with us during this time.
There have been delays with incoming shipments which will affect the restocking of some inventoried items. If an item you want to order is out of stock, we recommend finding an alternative product in "You May Also Like" section at the bottom of the product page. You may also call Customer Service at 1-800-423-2319 for help.
We have received several inquiries regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus on the products you order. As of 3/18/20, the CDC has stated, “currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods.” For more information, please see the CDC website on COVID-19 here https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html.
All of us at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads understand that this is a concern for many. We will continue to monitor the situation. Our sympathies go out to those who have been affected. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and your patience during this time.
Chris and Stuart
Why Washing Your Hands is so Important
With the COVID-19 outbreak now, more than ever, is the time to help slow or prevent the spread of disease. How do you do that? By flattening the curve with soap! With the rapid spike in new COVID-19 cases, this could potentially lead to a scarcity in medical supplies and care. By washing your hands, you decrease your potential for contracting the disease by 50% and prevent a shortage of medical care and supplies.
COVID-19 is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus and is extremely susceptible to the power of ordinary soap. This is because of how the virus holds itself together. SARS-CoV-2 is held together by a fatty membrane, which keeps the virus contained until its ready to spread inside the body. The membrane helps the virus spread by sticking to other fatty surfaces (like dead skin cells on your hands).
Water alone can only remove so much of the virus from your skin. Soap contains a fat-like substance (known as amphiphiles) that is extremely similar to the fatty layer that holds SARS-CoV-2 together.
The soap acts like a wedge, forcing its amphiphiles into the virus, pulling it apart from the inside out rendering the virus inactive. Then washing the virus off when water is applied. However, your skin, just like your fingertips, is a network of grooves, fissures, and wrinkles, so it takes some time to make sure the soap gets into all parts of your hands. The Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization both recommend that you lather your hands in soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, reaching all parts of your hands.
The easiest way to do this is by singing a song in your head or out loud while soaping up your hands. Songs like Happy Birthday sung twice, the ABC song, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, God Save the Queen, or you can select some of your favorite choruses from songs which can be as long as 24 seconds long
Courtesy of the Illinois Valley News, these actions can further slow the spread and reduce the impact of disease:
- Have extra supplies on hand. Ask about obtaining extra necessary medications to have on hand. Be sure you have over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies (tissues, etc.) to treat fever and other symptoms. Most people will be able to recover from at home.
- Have enough household items and non-perishable food items to last for a prolonged period.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Take everyday preventive actions: Using soap and water, wash your hands often for at least 10 seconds on both sides and under your nails and rings, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, or having been in a public place.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- If possible, avoid touching high-touch surfaces in public. Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, etc.
- Clean and disinfect your home to remove germs: practice routine cleaning frequently touched surfaces (for example: doorknobs, light switches, faucets, & cell phones).
- Avoid crowds, put distance between yourself and other people. Stay home as much as possible.
- Consider ways of getting food brought to your house through family, social, or commercial networks.
- Have a plan if you get sick: Stay in touch with others by phone or email. Determine who can provide you with care if your caregiver gets sick.
- If you have children, it's possible their school will be cancelled. Make sure you have childcare arranged if you can't stay home.
- Watch for symptoms and emergency warning signs. Pay attention for potential COVID-19 Symptoms including fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- If you feel like you are developing symptoms, call your doctor. If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately.
In adults, emergency warning signs:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest.
- New confusion or inability to arouse.
- Bluish lips or face
This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptom that is severe or concerning.
If you have any questions or concerns you should always speak to your medical provider.