Topics: Metalsmithing, Hammering

Please tell me what tool to use for a hammered look on metals like sterling silver and gold-filled?
- Frances
Use the smooth ball side of a chasing hammer or ball peen hammer on the metal while the metal is secured on a steel block. These hammers are sized and polished for jewelry-making tasks so it is best to select from them.

To achieve the best results with the hammered look, you may wish to anneal the metal in a kiln, with a butane torch or with a propane fuel torch for larger pieces. Annealing will bring the metal to its most malleable state and will allow you to form as deep and as well defined a hammer strike as you like.

- Sandra Lupo, Metalsmith, Jewelry Instructor and Swarovski crystal Ambassador

Materials Resources

Recommended Just for You

Sign Up for Email Specials and Beading News
Sign Up
for Email Specials and Beading News