Topics: Multi-Strand Necklaces, Stringing Material
I want to make a multi strand turquoise necklace, but am unsure about what type of beading wire to use, as I know this necklace will be quite heavy. Any suggestions? I was thinking of doing half of the necklace with 3 strands of turquoise and the other half that goes around my neck to be sterling silver chain. What do you suggest for this design? Thank you so much in advance!
You will need a strong and flexible beading wire for your multi-strand creation. Accu-flex® beading wire is ideal for this type of project due to the multi-strand, braided design that gives it superior tensile strength in a variety of gauges. Be sure to measure the bead holes before ordering beading wire as it is best to purchase the largest gauge wire that will fit the bead hole.
Crimp individual strands onto either a 3-strand spacer bar or directly to the lengths of chain. Then connect one end of the chain to the spacer bars (if you choose to use those in your design) and then the other end to the clasp using jumprings or a length of wire finished with a wrapped loop on each end.
The chain you choose could complement the shape of the turquoise beads. If using larger turquoise nuggets use a heavier, larger link chain; if using chips, small round beads or small nuggets, select a finer gauge chain with smaller links.
Other colors and textures may be integrated also. Natural materials, such as coral, bone, horn or wood may bring additional interest to your necklace. Some of these materials are lightweight so they won't add to the heaviness you are concerned about.
There are many multi-strand design projects in our Beading Instructions section, look through the selection of links listed below to see if any designs strike your fancy. And if you need instructions on opening and closing a jumpring or finishing wire with a wrapped loop, there are instructions for these techniques too.
- Accu-Flex® Professional Quality Beading Wire
- Turquoise gemstone beads and components
- Bone and horn beads and components
- Wood and nut beads and components
- Sterling silver chain
- 3-strand connectors
- ''Opening a Jumpring'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Making a Wrapped Loop and Double-Wrapped Loop'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
View 3 strand connectors and turquoise gemstone design inspirations in the Gallery of Designs
- Triple-Strand Necklace with Turquoise Beads and Czech Fire-Polished Glass Beads
- Triple-Strand Necklace with Turquoise Beads and Antiqued Silver Finish Drops
- Multi-Strand Necklace with Copper Beads, Copper Chain and Celestial Crystal® Beads
- Multi-Strand Necklace with Turquoise Gemstone Beads, Coral Beads and Silver-Plated Focals and Jumprings