Topics: Pearls, Stringing
How do I string pearls with silk thread, what size thread do I use and how do I attach a clasp? Also, what type of finding should be used? Thank you.
Pearls typically have small drill holes that vary with the size of the pearl. Hole sizes generally range from 0.50mm to 0.75mm.
Tip: If needed, pearl reamers can be used to increase the hole size and/or smooth the pearl holes.
Lightweight thread and either a beading needle or Wide Eye™ beading needle are recommended for designs using freshwater pearls. Size C, D, E, Purely Silk™ 100% silk thread or size 10 or 12 in natural silk thread, are good choices. Purely Silk thread is durable enough to withstand the abrasion of pearls while remaining smooth with a soft sheen. You also have the option of creating a needle out of your thread using the step-by-step instructions listed in the resources below. Bead tips and French wire work well for terminating your thread and are great findings for attaching a clasp. If you are knotting between your pearls, we offer knotting tools including the easyknotter® and the The Bead Knotter™ with how-to videos available for both.
- Michelle Wood, Jewelry-Making Expert
- Pearl and bead reamers
- Purely Silk thread
- Wide-Eye Needles
- Bead tips
- Hot Tips® designer bead tips
- French wire
- easyknotter cord knotter
- The Bead Knotter
- ''Hand Knotting Pearls'' how-to video and instructions
- ''Using The Bead Knotter'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Making a Silk Thread Needle'' how-to video and instructions
- ''Adding French Wire and Clasp to Silk Thread'' how-to video and instructions
- ''How to Use French Wire with Thread'' illustrated instructions
- ''How to Use Hot Tips, Designer Bead Tips'' illustrated instructions
- ''easyknotter How-To'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Types and Sizes of Beading Thread and Stringing Material'' article
- ''How to Use Bead and Pearl Reamers'' how-to video and instructions
- ''Using a Jewelers Saw as a Pearl/Bead Reamer'' how-to video and illustrated instructions