Multi-Strand Necklace with Wood Beads and Mahogany Seeds
-- Designer --
Marlynn McNutt, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Marlynn McNutt, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, tiger wood, light and dark brown, 5x3mm rondelle (24 beads)
- Bead, wood, dark brown, 5x3mm rondelle (47 beads)
- Bead, wood, 9mm rounded cube (8 beads)
- Bead, wood, 10x3-5mm rondelle (7 beads)
- Bead, wood, 10x3mm rondelle (8 beads)
- Bead, wood, 10x10x9mm rounded triangle (2 beads)
- Bead, wood, 9x6mm rondelle (5 beads)
- Bead, wood, 11x11mm square (9 beads)
- Bead, wood, 11mm rounded cube (8 beads)
- Bead, bayong wood, 11-12mm round (8 beads)
- Bead, wood, 21x5mm rectangle (28 beads)
- Bead, wood, 10x10x9mm triangle (7 beads)
- Bead, palm wood, 22x17mm rectangle (4 beads)
- Bead, jupiter jasper, 14mm round (10 beads)
- Bead, mahogany seed, 11mm round (9 beads)
- Bead, mahogany seed, 17x10mm rondelle (6 beads)
- Bead, mahogany seed, 20x10mm rondelle (5 beads)
- Bead, mahogany seed, 22x20mm drum (7 beads)
- Bead, mahogany seed, 29x25mm oval (1 beads)
- Bead, turquoise, 20x17mm oval nuggets (5 beads)
- Bead, turquoise,13x8-26x16mm nugget (1 beads)
- Bead, African ''turquoise'', large tumbled nugget (2 beads)
- Cord, hemp, 6-ply, natural, 1.5mm
- Pliers, round-nose
- Cutting tools, scissors, clippers
- Bead reamer
Using scissors, cut six strands of hemp 72 inches in length and two strands 144 inches in length.
Gather two strands of 144 inch hemp (these will be used as the knotting strands) and three strands of 72 inch hemp (these will be used as the base strands). Arrange the strands with the short strands in the center and the long strands on the outside. Tape the five strands to the workstation, approximately 3 inches from the end.
Make a square knot using the two outside 144-inch strands over the three base strands. The basic pattern is:
You must alternate each pass, starting with Strand 1 then Strand 2, to get a flat weave. If you start consistently with the same strand the weave will twist.
Strand 1 over the base
Strand 2 over strand 1
Strand 2 under the base
Strand 2 through the loop
Strand 2 over base
Strand 1 over strand 2
Strand 1 under the base
Strand 1 through the loop
Continue making square knots until the woven portion of hemp is 2-1/4 inches in length. Trim the ends of the 72-inch strands so they are even.
Add the remaining three strands of 72-inch hemp to the five strands in the weave, lining up the ends so they are even. Continue making square knots for 2 inches more, for a total woven length of 4-1/4 inches.
Separate the strands into four sets of two. On the first set of two strands, make an overhand knot close to the last square knot.
Repeat making square knots at the end of each set of strands.
Select ten 20x5mm brown rectangle wood beads for use in the last step, set them aside.
Using the first set of two strands of hemp (set the other strands out of the way), separate the strands and string onto one strand four brown rondelle wood beads. Bring the two strands back together and tie an overhand knot to secure the beads in place approximately 3/4 inches from the first knot.
Continue to separate the strands, string on a bead (or sets of 3 - 5 beads if they are small) in a random pattern, and create an overhand knot to hold the beads in place. The knots should be between 3/4 inch and 1-1/4 inch apart depending on the size of the bead being strung on the hemp. The beaded portion of the hemp needs to measure approximately 36 inches.
Some beads may need to be reamed to make the holes larger in order to pass the hemp through. Repeat Step 5 on the remaining three sets of hemp, until there are four strands of beaded hemp 36 inches in length.
Repeat Step 3 making square knots using the two long strands over the six base strands until the pattern portion is 2 inches in length. Make sure not to cut the long strands. Cut three of the base strands flush with the last knot. This will leave three remaining base strands and the two longer strands. Continue to make square knots for another 2-1/4 inches for a total woven section of 4-1/4 inches in length. Place a small amount of glue on the last knot.
Cut the remaining hemp strands approximately 3 inches from the last knot.
String one 20x5mm brown rectangle wood bead on a strand of hemp. Make a surgeons knot about 1-inch from the end of the hemp to hold the bead in place. Repeat to place a bead on each of the ten hemp ends.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.