Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Hemalyke™ Beads and Sterling Silver Charms and Drops
I Have a Dream
-- Designer --
Jude, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Hemalyke, rainbow, 2mm round tube (34 beads)
- Bead, Hemalyke, rainbow, 4x3mm faceted rondelle (82 beads)
- Bead, Hemalyke, rainbow, 6x3mm faceted rondelle (68 beads)
- Charm, sterling silver, 8mm single-sided modern square alphabet letter L (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 9x8mm single-sided modern square alphabet letter K (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 11x8mm single-sided modern square alphabet letter M (1 charm)
- Drop, enamel and sterling silver, black, 10mm single-sided round with ''Dream'' (3 drops)
- Drop, sterling silver, 21x14mm teardrop with 6 loops (3 drops)
- Bead cap, silver-finished brass, 5x1.5mm flower, fits 6-8mm bead (68 bead caps)
- Crimp, sterling silver, 2mm cut tube with heavy wall, 1.2mm inside diameter (2 crimps)
- Wire protector, Accu-Guard, silver-plated brass, 4mm tube, 0.5mm inside diameter (2 wire protectors)
- Jump ring, sterling silver, 4mm round, 2.4mm inside diameter, 20 gauge (8 jump rings)
- Jump ring, sterling silver, 7mm soldered round, 5mm inside diameter, 18 gauge (1 jump ring)
- Head pin, sterling silver, 1-1/2 inches with 1.5mm ball, 22 gauge (11 head pins)
- Clasp, JBB Findings, S-hook, sterling silver, 16x11mm with 6-8mm jump ring (1 clasp)
- Ear wire, sterling silver, 16mm leverback with 5x3mm shell with open loop (2 ear wires)
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, nylon and stainless steel, clear, 49 strand, 0.019-inch diameter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, flush-cutter
This custom necklace set stylishly celebrates Martin Luther King Day with sterling silver alphabet charms spelling M, L, K and petite affirmation drops reminding us the power of his "Dream." The rainbow Hemalyke™ beads and rondelles, offering an economic alternative to natural hematite, are dazzling.
The necklace pendant and drop earrings are created using sterling silver teardrops with six loops for easy embellishment, with the "Dream" affirmation drops dangling perfectly inside. The flower bead caps highlight the beauty of the Hemalyke beads.
Start a holiday jewelry line that includes Martin Luther King Day and other federal holidays and noteworthy occasions. Start stringing today for a meaningful statement and help promote this "Day of Service" in style.
Cut a 26-inch length of Accu-Flex® professional quality beading wire.
Creating the Focal
String one 4x3mm Hemalyke™ rondelle onto a head pin then form a simple loop. Repeat to create a second drop.
Attach the drops created in Step 2 to the second and fourth loops on the 21x14mm sterling silver drop.
Pass one jump ring through one letter "M" charm and the first loop of the 21x14mm drop.
Repeat to attach the letter "L" charm to the third loop and the letter "K" charm to the fifth loop.
Using a jump ring, attach one 10mm "Dream" drop to the inside loop of the 21x14mm drop.
Attach one jump ring to the top loop of the 21x14mm drop.
Assembling the Necklace
String onto the length of beading wire: one crimp and one Accu-Guard™ wire protector. Pass the beading wire back through the crimp. Pull the beading wire so the crimp rests snug against the Accu-Guard leaving approximately 1/4 inch of beading wire on the end. Crimp then trim the excess from the short end of the beading wire.
String onto the beading wire:
17 sets of:
Two 4x3mm rondelles
One 6x3mm rondelle
One bead cap (concave side first)
One 2mm round tube
One bead cap (convex side first)
One 6x3mm rondelle
One 4x3mm rondelle
Continue to string onto the beading wire the focal from Step 4 then repeat Step 6 in the opposite direction.
Repeat Step 5 to secure the strand.
Using a 4mm jump ring, attach the closed jump ring that is included with the S-hook clasp to one Accu-Guard.
Using a 4mm jump ring, attach the 7mm closed jump ring to the opposite Accu-Guard.
String one 4x3mm Hemalyke rondelle onto a head pin then form a simple loop. Repeat to create a total of ten drops.
Attach one drop to one bottom loop of one 21x14mm drop. Continue to attach a drop to each of the remaining bottom loops.
Pass one jump ring through one "Dream" charm and the inside loop of the 21x14mm drop.
Attach one ear wire to the top of the 21x14mm drop.
Repeat Steps 2 - 4 to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.