Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Riverstone Gemstone Beads, Cernit® Polymer Clay and Silver-Plated Brass Chain
-- Designer --
Jude, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, riverstone, 4mm round (14 beads)
- Bead, riverstone, 6mm round (2 beads)
- Bead, riverstone, 8mm round (8 beads)
- Pendant, silver-plated brass, 25x18mm oval rope design cabochon setting (1 pendant)
- Polymer clay, Cernit, sienna
- Polymer clay, Cernit, savanna
- Polymer clay, Cernit, agate
- Crimp, silver-plated brass, 2x1.5mm round, 1.3mm inside diameter (2 crimps)
- Crimp cover, silver-plated brass, 3mm (2 crimp covers)
- Clasp, toggle, silver-plated brass, 16mm plain round (1 clasp)
- Headpin, silver-plated brass, 1-1/2 inch, 21 gauge (2 headpins)
- Eyepin, silver-plated brass, 2-inch, 21 gauge (2 eyepins)
- Jumpring, silver-plated, 5mm round, 20 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Wire protector, Accu-Guard, silver-plated brass, 4x4mm (2 wire protectors)
- Earwire, silver-plated brass, 17mm flat fishhook with 2mm coil and open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Chain, silver-plated brass, 5x3.5mm cable
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, clear, 49 strand, 0.014-inch
- Polyclay Roller
- Super slicer
- Roller set, acrylic, clear
- Hobby knife set, steel
- Top coat sealant, Mona Lisa Metal Leaf, clear
- Stamp, Lisa Pavelka Signature Series, silicone, grey, 4-3/4x5-1/2 inch finely detailed square with cultural detail
- Tri-Bead Roller
- Micro-mesh sanding pads
- Toaster oven, Hamilton Beach Easy Reach, plastic / stainless steel / tempered glass, black, 120V/1200W, 15-3/4 x 8-3/4 x 12 inches
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, crimping
Condition and keep separate the following colors of Cernit Natural Stone polymer clay: 1/2 package of sienna, 1/2 package of savanna and 1/8 package of agate. Blend the sienna and agate until there are waves of green showing through the sienna.
Create a Skinner blended sheet using the sienna/green sheet and an equal sized sheet of savanna.
Note: For this blend, fold the sheet in half, turn it one-quarter turn to the right then run it through the Poly Roller™ on the thickest setting.
Fold and repeat, rolling the sheet until you have a nice marbled effect. Once happy with the blend, run the sheet through the Poly Roller on a medium-thick setting.
Spritz the Celtic silicone texture with water then place it face down on a portion of the Skinner blended sheet. Use the acrylic roller to roll across the surface of the texture then carefully remove the texture. Using a sharp blade, cut an oval shape slightly larger than the opening in your pendant from the textured section of the sheet.
With the pendant facing up, press the oval into the pendant from the back. Gently push scrap clay into the back of the pendant until the texture on the front is raised as high as you'd like. Using a sharp blade, carefully cut off any excess clay on the back of the pendant. Set the pendant aside.
Use the bead roller to create beads using the leftover Skinner blended sheet. Be careful not to over blend the marbled clay as you create the beads. Use a beading awl to pierce a hole in the beads. Thread the beads onto scrap pieces of wire. Suspend the wire across a polymer-dedicated baking sheet so the beads are raised off the surface. Bake the beads and the pendant per the manufacturer's directions then allow to cool to room temperature.
Using the micro-mesh sanding pads and water, working from the coarsest to the finest grit, sand the beads and the surface of the pendant until smooth. Dry the beads and the pendant.
Put the beads back onto the wires and suspend them across the baking sheet. Using a clean brush, coat the beads and the pendant with a light coat of Mona Lisa™ Metal Leaf™ top coat sealant. Allow to dry.
Using flush-cutters cut two 4-inch lengths of chain. Cut a 10-inch length of Accu-Flex beading wire. Thread onto one end of the Accu-Flex, a crimp bead and an Accu-Guard. Thread the Accu-Guard over the last link on one end of one length of chain. Pass the Accu-Flex back through the crimp bead so one end is less than 1-inch long. Crimp the crimp bead.
String on a pattern of beads 4-inches long. Thread on the loop of the pendant then string on a pattern of beads that mirror the first half. Thread on a crimp bead and an Accu-Guard. Thread the Accu-Guard over the last link on one end of the other length of chain. Pass the Accu-Flex back through the crimp bead then pull to tighten up the beads. Ensure the Accu-Flex has a nice drape and that the beads are not too taught. Crimp the crimp bead then trim any excess wire.
Using the front notch of crimping pliers or a pair of chain-nose piers, gently compress a crimp cover over the crimped crimp beads. Use jumprings to attach one half of the clasp to the end of each length of chain.
String one 6mm riverstone round bead on to a 1-1/2 inch headpin. Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, round-nose pliers and flush-cutters, form a simple loop on the straight end of the wire, repeat to create a total of two 6mm riverstone round bead drops.
Repeat Step 1 to create the following:
Two Cernit Stone-Look Clay and riverstone beading links using one 4mm riverstone round bead and one Cernit Stone-Look Clay bead and one 2-inch eyepin.
Open the loop on one 6mm riverstone round bead drop and attach it to the bottom loop on one Cernit Stone-Look Clay and riverstone beading link. Close the loop.
Open the top loop on the Cernit Stone-Look Clay and riverstone beading link and attach it to the loop on one silver-plated flat coil fishhook earwire. Close the loop.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to create the second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.