Single-Strand Necklace with ICE Resin® and Copper Leaf Sheets and Copper Embellishment
-- Designer --
Tammy Honaman, Author, Jewelry-Making Expert and Educator, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Tammy Honaman, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), crystal golden shadow, 3.9mm montées, SS16 (1 bead)
- Bead, antiqued copper, 5x1.5mm beaded rondelle (3 beads)
- Focal, copper, 31x31mm square with 29x29mm square setting, 6.5mm loop (1 focal)
- Embellishment, copper, 10x10mm undrilled shiny flat heart blank (1 embellishment)
- Chain, copper-plated brass, 3mm omega, 18 inches with pop-style clasp
- Jeweler's grade resin, ICE Resin, 2-part plunger, crystal clear
- Paper, banana fiber, multicolored, 11x6 inch rectangle with single-sided paisley design
- Copper leaf sheets, 100% copper
- Tool set, beading awl
- Hammer, steel and China berry tree wood
- Bench block, steel, 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/4 inch square
||Place the bezel upside down onto the back side of the paper. Using a pencil, trace the outline of the bezel. Using scissors, follow the outline to cut the paper to fit the bezel; trim if necessary. Insert the paper into the bezel.
Tip: If the bezel has a bail, lift the bezel off of the work surface by placing it onto a suitable lift so the bezel lies flat.
||Place the copper findings and beads into the bezel.
Note: The sand dollar bead shown in the image was flattened a bit with a hammer and steel bench block; the heart shown in the final design was placed on a steel bench block and struck with the textured hammer.
||Following manufacturer’s instructions, mix up a batch of ICE Resin. Using a craft stick, drip ICE Resin slowly into the bezel. Work slowly to minimize disturbing the placement of your beads and findings as well as so you don’t overfill the bezel.
||If any findings or beads are disturbed as you fill the bezel, use a beading awl to move the items back into place. Use a beading awl or toothpick to break any air bubbles.
Add bits of foil to the surface and poke into place carefully with the beading awl. You can press the foil all the way to the bottom but can also work it to just under the surface to create layers.
Once the ICE Resin is cured, you can apply a second layer to create a domed effect as well as create a magnification for the items in the bezel.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.