Single-Strand Necklace with Kato Polyclay™ and Lunasoft Aluminum and Lucite® Cabochon
-- Designer --
Esther, Lead Jewelry Designer, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, green
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, yellow
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, black
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, blue
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, violet
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, turquoise
- Polymer clay, Kato Polyclay, orange
- Cabochon, Lunasoft, aluminum and Lucite, matte blueberry, 18mm round (1 cabochon)
- Drop, silver-plated brass, 19mm round bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 18mm round cabochon or flat-backed crystal (1 drop)
- Cord, silicone and stainless steel, black, 3mm wide, 18 inches with snap closure
- Wire, anodized aluminum, silver, textured round with crosshatch pattern, 12 gauge
- Wire, sterling silver, half-hard, square, 14 gauge
- Adhesive, Adhesive, Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy, 2-part
- Super Slicer, stainless steel and plastic, black and green, (4) blades with (1) pair of handles
- Hobby knife set, steel, 37 blades, 7 handles, 1 glue, 1 sharpening stone and 5 awls
- Tool set, beading awl, 4mm, 3.5mm, 3mm, 2.5mm and 2mm 5-piece set in 5-3/4 x 3 x 3/4 inch plastic case
- Polyclay roller, Marcato Atlas 180 Roller, chrome- and nickel-plated steel and plastic, 9 x 8-1/2 x 7 inches
- Clay carving tool, stainless steel, 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 inches
- Toaster oven, Hamilton Beach Easy Reach, plastic / stainless steel / tempered glass, black, 120V/1200W, 15-3/4 x 8-3/4 x 12 inches
- Pliers, Wubbers Designer Mandrel, medium bail-making, steel and rubber, 6-3/4 inches
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Lunasoft aluminum and Lucite cabochons come in beautiful colors--choose one then have fun making up colors of polymer clay to coordinate or contrast with the cabochon.
Blend Kato Polyclay in a polyclay machine, in the increments needed to create the colors you chose for your pendant.
The colors chosen from the Kato Polyclay color chart to go with the blueberry Lunasoft cab were: O1, M2, I3 and F4.
Create sheets of clay on the thickest setting then set the sheets aside.
Create a pattern for your pendant on copy paper or cardstock leaving a channel between the pieces that will make up the pattern. Cut out each section of the pattern not including the channels.
||Place a piece of the pattern on each sheet of clay, use a blade to cut the clay along the pattern then set aside. Repeat for each color in your pattern.
||Run the remainder of each clay sheet through the pasta machine on the thickest setting. Progressively decrease the thickness, working down 3 or 4 levels.
Stack the four color sheets, in random order then place the cut out clay pieces onto the top layer of the stack, assembling the pieces according to the pattern (leaving channels between the pieces). Trim the stacked clay sheets even with the assembled pattern. Set aside the remainder of the sheets for use later.
||Place the cabochon mounting onto the clay pendant, positioning it where you want the cabochon to be placed. Using the tip of an awl or the pointed tool in the blade set, trace the mounting onto the clay.
Remove the mounting then cut out the section of clay.
Position the smaller mandrel on a pair of Wubbers® pliers about 1/2 inch in from one end of the 14-gauge wire then rotate to form a loop. Using flush-cutters cut the wire 1/2inch past the loop, to separate from the spool. Using flat-nose pliers bend each of the 1/2 inch ''legs'' in the opposite direction so they extend out to the sides. Create two jumprings using the smaller mandrel on the pliers as well.
||Place the formed loop centered at the top, on the back of the pendant. If needed, trim the ''legs'' so they do not extend past the edges of the pendant.
Carefully slice into back of the pendant then insert the ''legs'' and the lower area of the simple loop into the opening. Carefully, without distorting the polymer, seal the cut back together, capturing the wire.
||Cut a rectangle piece from the remainder of the stacked sheets (from Step 5). Trim it to suit your design.
||Cut a 2-inch length of 14-gauge square wire. Using round-nose pliers, form a simple loop on one end. Insert an awl or pointed tool through the center of the polymer piece then insert the wire.
Optional: Press a piece of fabric to the surface of the pendant and the accent piece. This adds a nice texture as well as creates more of a matte surface.
Place an oven thermometer into the craft oven, preheat the oven to 300-degrees Fahrenheit. Pour baking soda into a baking dish suitable for use in your craft oven. Place each piece of the pendant into the baking soda. The baking soda will maintain the current texture on the surface of your pendant and help prevent surface cracks and imperfections that can sometimes occur during the curing process. Cure for 30 minutes then allow the oven and contents to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the pieces, rinse with water then dry with a towel.
Trim the wire extending past the polymer piece so it is a suitable length for forming a similarly sized simple loop as you formed in Step 10 then form a simple loop.
Cut one 3-inch, one 1-1/4 inch and two 1/2 inch lengths of textured aluminum wire.
Fold the 3-inch length of textured aluminum wire in half. Using flat-nose pliers, squeeze the bend together so that the wires lay tightly next to each other. Repeat to fold each length of textured wire.
Secure the cabochon in the mounting using Devcon® 5 minute epoxy then glue the cabochon and mounting in place on the pendant. Lay the folded wire in the channels and check the length. Trim any ends that are too long. Glue the wire pieces into the trenches.
Connect the pendant and the accent piece using a jumpring. Attach a jumpring to the top loop of the accent piece then string a length of cording through the jumpring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.