Earrings with Swellegant!™, Leather Scrap and Seed Beads
-- Designer --
Jude, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Seed bead, Delica, glass, transparent luster fuchsia, #8 round
- Seed bead, Delica, glass, color-lined shimmer sky blue, #8 round
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, metallic dark gold, #15 rocaille
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 6mm twisted round, 16 gauge (6 jumprings)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 2 inches, 24 gauge (6 headpins)
- Eyelet, brass, 3.5x3mm with 2.5x1.9mm tube and 1.4mm inside diameter, fits 2mm hole (8 eyelets)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 17mm fishhook with 2.5mm ball and open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Leather scrap mix, mixed colors, mixed shape
- Dye-oxide, Swellegant!, blood red
- Metal coating, Swellegant!, brass
- Metal coating, Swellegant!™, bronze
- Hole punch pliers, EUROTOOL, carbon steel and plastic, black and blue, 5-3/4 inches with 1.25mm round hole
- Rivet and eyelet setter, powder-coated steel, black, 3 x 7/8 x 3/8 inch base with 3/32 inch hex wrench
- Artist brushes
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
Cut two teardrop shapes of white scrap leather approximately 3-inches in length.
Note: The color of leather may be altered to suit personal preferences.
On the smooth side of one teardrop leather shape, apply bronze Swellegant!™ in the pattern of your choice.
Repeat to add Swellegant! accents over the bronze using the blood red and brass in the pattern of your choice.
Repeat to add color to the second leather teardrop.
Allow the teardrops to set for 72 hours.
Tip: It is best to use the Swellegant! dye-oxides over the metal coatings.
String one metallic dark gold #15 seed bead and one transparent luster fuchsia #8 onto one 2-inch headpin then form a simple loop at the straight end of the wire.
Repeat to create a total of four transparent luster fuchsia drops.
Repeat to create a total of two color-lined shimmer sky blue drops.
Punch one 1.25mm round hole in one leather teardrop approximately 3/4 inches from the tip, the non-rounded end.
Repeat to punch a hole approximately 3/16 inches from the first (previous) hole.
Repeat to punch a hole approximately 3/16 inches from the second hole.
Punch a 1.25mm hole toward the middle of the rounded end of the teardrop.
Using the rivet and eyelet setter, attach an eyelet to the first hole closest to the tip of the leather teardrop. Repeat to attach an eyelet to the second and third holes.
Repeat to attach an eyelet to the hole at the rounded end of the teardrop.
Pass one 6mm twisted jumpring through the loop on one transparent luster fuchsia drop and the first hole on one teardrop. Repeat to attach one color-lined shimmer sky blue drop to the second hole. Repeat to attach one transparent luster fuchsia drop to the third hole.
Repeat to attach the remaining transparent luster fuchsia drops and color-lined shimmer sky blue drop to the second teardrop.
Pass one fishhook earwire through the hole at the rounded end of one teardrop then close.
Repeat to complete second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.