Swellegant™ Metal Coatings and Patinas Q and A
1. What is Swellegant Clear Sealant?
Swellegant Clear Sealant is a strong, non-hazardous, no-odor, non-cracking top coating that works well with all Swellegant Metal Coatings, Patinas and Dyes, as well as clean, polished metals. It is water-based and eco-friendly, and will seal patinas and metals and preserve all your surface applications. The sealant is matte and adds no shine to the piece.
2. What are Swellegant Metal Coatings?
Swellegant Metal Coatings can be applied to all surfaces, including polymer clay, glass, wood, ceramic, concrete, foam, metal and resin. It is very durable, outdoor-safe, water-based, non-toxic and non-hazardous. It is made of finely ground metal suspended in a binder.
3. What are Swellegant Patinas?
Swellegant Patinas are wonderful on metals and metal coatings. They are very durable, outdoor-safe and water-based.
4. Do I need to prep my piece first before applying Swellegant products?
You must make sure the surface of your piece has been completely and thoroughly cleaned of oils and fingerprints for the products to work correctly. Soap and water will remove any oils. If the surface that Metal Coatings will be added to is slick or shiny, you may want to rough it up a bit with sandpaper or fine steel wool.
5. In what order should I apply the Swellegant Metal Coatings and Patinas?
There is no particular order that you need to follow. You can layer the Metal Coatings and Patinas in any order that you like to achieve the effects you want.
6. How should I apply Swellegant Metal Coatings?
Use a soft brush or sponge to stroke or dab the Metal Coatings on. If there are thin spots, you can cover them on the next coating. Let the coating dry for 5-15 minutes before applying additional layers. The more metal you layer on, the stronger and more scratch-resistant your finished piece will be.
7. How should I apply Swellegant Patinas?
Before you add the patinas, dab on one more layer of the Metal Coating. While the metal is still moist, immediately add the patina by using a brush or sponge to dab on a layer of patina on the piece. You can also put the patina in a spray bottle and mist it onto the piece. You can add more than one type of patina at the same time.
8. Do the Swellegant Patinas all react at the same speed?
The Darkening Patina reacts very quickly. The Tiffany Green/Rust Patina and Green-Gold/Verdigris Patina both take longer to react. Keep checking every 5-10 minutes until you get the color you like.
9. Do the Swellegant Patinas all react on different metals the same way?
The Darkening Patina darkens all the metals. The Tiffany Green/Rust Patina and Green-Gold/Verdigris Patina react differently depending on which metal they are dabbed on.
Note: We have found in our tests that the Patinas are incredibly slow to react (and in some cases do not react favorably at all) when applied directly to silver-filled products.
10. How can I stop the patina reaction?
You can stop the reaction by rinsing the surface of your piece with water. This will keep the patina as you see it, otherwise it will just keep on oxidizing and deepening the patina. We recommend rinsing the piece and blotting it dry with paper towels.
11. Can I use the Swellegant Patinas on metal pieces that have not been treated with Metal Coatings?
Yes, you can use the Swellegant Patinas on any clean metal piece.
12. Can I burnish my piece after adding Swellegant Metal Coatings and Patinas?
Yes, but you must wait at least 48 hours (72 hours is better) before you burnish to allow the Metal Coatings and Patinas time to fully cure and attach themselves to the piece.
13. How soon can I apply the Swellegant Clear Sealant?
We recommend letting all coatings and patinas dry completely for 72 hours before sealing the pieces.
14. How long does the Swellegant Clear Sealant take to fully cure?
It dries to touch within 20-30 minutes and is safe to handle. It is fully cured in 72 hours.
15. How long do the Swellegant Metal Coatings and Patinas take to fully cure?
Swellegant Metal Coatings and Patinas will fully cure in 12 hours.
16. Should I wear gloves?
None of the Swellegant products will hurt your skin, but you will want to wash your hands after using them. If you are prone to sensitive skin, we would recommend wearing latex or vinyl gloves. Swellegant products can be washed up with soap and warm water.
17. Will the Swellegant Metal Coatings and Patinas affect clothing?
Yes, they will stain clothing. You may want to wear old clothes or cover your clothing with an apron.
18. Are there any additional safety considerations to keep in mind when using Swellegant products?
Use in a well-ventilated area. Do not ingest. If the products enter your eyes, flush with water.
How did you like this resource? Your feedback helps us provide resources that matter to you most.