How can you prevent open, unused silver clay from turning moldy? We have the unused silver wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, sealed with masking tape to keep the plastic wrap from coming loose. Then we place the silver in an air tight rubber maid container with a sponge that is wet. Does it just turn moldy over time or is there something different we should be doing?
It is the water being added in any handling or storage that is most likely causing the problem. Distilled water is the best water to use when hydrating, diluting or wetting a sponge for storage with any metal clays.
There are very little amounts of minerals present in distilled water which helps prevent mold from building readily. You may still find blooms from time to time but this has been proven to be the best approach. If you don't have distilled water handy you can carefully boil a pot of water, let it cool to room temperature and then use this water for all your metal clay moisture needs.
- Tammy Honaman, Author, Jewelry-Making Expert and Educator