Single-Strand Necklace with Hill Tribes Fine Silver Flower Beads and Sterling Silver Beads
-- Designer --
Marlynn McNutt, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Marlynn McNutt, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, sterling silver, 15x6mm tube bead with large hole
- Bead, sterling silver, 16x6mm round filigree tube
- Bead, sterling silver, 28x24mm dragonfly
- Bead, sterling silver, 34x22mm dragonfly tube
- Bead, Hill Tribes fine silver, 4x3mm fancy tube
- Bead, Hill Tribes fine silver, 69x11mm curved tube, 5-loops
- Drop, sterling silver, 11mm flower
- Drop, sterling silver, 16mm flower
- Drop, sterling silver, 17mm flower
- Drop, sterling silver, 20mm flower
- Drop, sterling silver, 27mm hanging flower
- Focal, Hill Tribes fine silver, 30x10mm leaf
- Focal, Hill Tribes fine silver, 35mm flower
- Focal, Hill Tribes fine silver, 37x26mm maple leaf
- Focal, Hill Tribes fine silver, 35x13mm leaf
- Drop, sterling silver leaf, 31x18mm
- Button, sterling silver, 10mm small flower
- Button, sterling silver, 16mm flower
- Crimp, sterling silver, 2mm cut tube
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 7mm round, 16 gauge
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 5mm round, 19 gauge
- Clasp, sterling silver, 26x9x2mm S-hook with flat dots
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, clear, 49 strand
- Pliers, side-cutting
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
For this 23-24-inch long necklace, cut three 30-inch strands of .019-inch Accu-Flex® professional-quailty beading wire.
||Thread all 3 strands together through a crimp tube, slide it to the center of the strands and crimp. Center the bundle of strands in the curved tube. Pass the 3 strands together through a filigree tube bead on each side of the curved tube. From now on, string the two sides identically.
Separate the strands: On the first strand, string 5 short fancy tube beads (short tubes), button flower, 4 short tubes, and a leaf bead.
On the second strand, string 11 short tubes, a button flower, and 8 short tubes.
On the third strand, string 12 short tubes, a button flower, 5 short tubes, a flower, and 2 short tubes.
Tighten all the beads on the strands and adjust them so the top beads are level. Crimp the wires together 1/4 inch above the top beads. Then pass the 3 strands together through a large-hole tube (the crimp is inside the tube).
Separate the strands:
On the first, string 6 short tubes, a flower drop and 5 short tubes. On the second, string 2 short tubes, a flower, 6 short tubes, cupped flower drop and 3 short tubes. On the third, string 6 short tubes and a dragonfly.
If you wish, braid the strands loosely. Tighten all the beads on the strands and adjust them so the top beads are level. Crimp the wires together 1/4 inch above the top beads. Then pass them together through a large-hole tube.
Separate the 3 strands and string 1 short tube on each. Then pass them together through a dragonfly. String 1 short tube on each of the 3 strands and crimp the wires together 1/4 inch above the beads. Pass them together through a large hole tube.
String 1 short tube on each of the three strands and crimp them together, 1/4 inch above the beads, using 2 crimps. Cut off 2 wires a little past the second crimp. Then thread a large-hole tube down to the 3 short tubes.
String 3 short tubes and a crimp on the remaining single wire. Pass the wire tail through the loop on a large flower drop and back through the crimp and the short tubes. Tighten the loop so it's almost tight around the flower drop's loop and crimp. Trim the wire tail.
||The Clasp: Remove the soldered rings that come with the S-hook clasp. Open two 7mm jumprings by grasping the wire on each side of the opening with a pair of chain-nose and bent chain-nose pliers. Maintaining the round shape of the ring, push one pliers down and pull the other up to separate the ends of the ring. Thread a ring through the loop of a flower drop at one end of the necklace. Then close the ring by pushing and pulling the jumpring ends back together with the two pliers. Attach the second jumpring to the other flower drop's loop and join them with the S-hook.
||Front Dangles: Open two 7mm jumprings. Attach one to the loop behind the large flower and close it. Join the closed ring to the center loop on the curved tube with the second jumpring. Repeat to attach a maple leaf to each of the end loops of the curved tube with two 7mm jumprings.
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.