Multi-Strand Necklace with Kato Polyclay™ Pendant, Stainless Steel Choker and Crow Beads
-- Designer --
: : : Materials : : :
- Kato Polyclay, black
- Kato Polyclay, white
- Kato Polyclay blade sample set
- Stainless steel choker-style necklace, 18 inches, black
- Sterling silver braided rondelle beads, large hole, 8x4.5mm
- Bead, sterling silver, 5mm seamless corrugated round
- Crow bead, opaque black, approximately 9x7mm
- Polyclay Roller
Dedicated baking sheet
Complex geometries highlight this eye-catching pendant design, made from versatile Kato Polyclay. Combine with crow beads and sterling silver for an elegant monochromatic look.
As with all polymer clay, condition the clay thoroughly by rolling it through the pasta machine or kneading it by hand until soft and pliable.
Roll out two sheets of clay measuring 5x5 inches, one black and one white, rolled on the thickest setting of the pasta machine. Stack the sheets on top of each other.
Cut the stacked sheets in half, diagonally, to form right-angle triangles. Separate the resulting triangles and stack like colors on top of each other.
Join the diagonal edge, offsetting the triangles slightly so that the corners do not exactly meet. Trim the tips that hang above and below to reform the sheet into a square. You must do this if you wish to have areas of the graded-color clay sheet that are the two colors you began with. If the colors meet exactly, you will have a sheet that is entirely graded.
Roll the sheets through the pasta machine. Fold the two-color sheet in half, matching same color edge on same color edge. Place the fold against the rollers of the pasta machine and roll through the pasta machine. Placing the folded edge against the pasta machine roller insures that you don't trap air into the blend. Fold and roll through again. Repeat until the sheet is fully blended and there are no streaks.
Cut this sheet half lengthwise, so that each section includes a full blend.
Roll one half, beginning with the white end, into a jellyroll. Note the distinct lines made from the blend. This cane will be 2 inches long. This will be called cane #1.
Roll the other half, beginning with the black end, into a jellyroll. This 2-inch long cane will be called cane #2.
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at email@example.com.