Multi-Strand Necklace with Celestial Crystal® Beads and Sterling Silver Wire
-- Designer --
Tammy Honaman, Author, Jewelry-Making Expert and Educator, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Tammy Honaman, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, sterling silver, 4x1mm beaded rondelle (2 beads)
- Bead, sterling silver, brushed, 20x7.5mm cone (2 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, medium blue AB, 6mm cube (10 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, clear AB, 6mm cube (10 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, lime green, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, green frost, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, medium blue, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, light blue, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, clear AB, 8mm bicone (10 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, light blue AB, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, lime green AB, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, medium blue AB, 8mm bicone (6 beads)
- Crimp, sterling silver, 2mm cut tube (210 crimp beads)
- Clasp, hook-style, sterling silver, 18x9mm with two rings (1 clasp)
- Wire, sterling silver, half-hard, round, 20 gauge
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex®, .925 sterling silver, 49 strand, .019-inch diameter
- Bead Stopper, stainless steel, mini
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, medium blue AB, 15x10mm oval (10 beads)
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, side-cutting
- Pliers, nipper
Crimp beads are used to hold the Celestial Crystals® in place, so they appear to be floating on shiny sterling silver Accu-Flex® professional-quality beading wire. The crimps also add sparkle as the light reflects off of their smooth surface.
The colors in this design are reminiscent of the beach in the summer. Choose a color combination that works for your favorite summertime memories, or make one for each season.
||Cut a 22-inch length of Accu-Flex beading wire. String an assortment of 18 - 20 beads, placing two crimp beads between each bead. String one crimp bead onto each end, then add a Bead Stopper™ to hold the beads in place.
||About 2-1/2 inches down from one end of the Accu-Flex beading wire, use the chain-nose pliers to compress the first crimp bead onto the beading wire so it stays in place.
Slide the first bead up against the compressed crimp then slide the next crimp bead up close to the bead. Compress the crimp. This will keep the bead in place on the beading wire.
Repeat Step 3, spacing the beads along the wire in a random fashion, leaving approximately 3 inches of Accu-Flex beading wire free of beads and crimps on the other end. Place a Bead Stopper™ on the end of the wire.
Cut a 23-inch length of Accu-Flex beading wire. String on one crimp bead. Place the first strand and the second strand next to each other. Compress the crimp bead on the second strand so it rests just below the first compressed crimp bead on the first strand. String on one bead and a crimp bead and slide them against the compressed crimp bead. Compress the second crimp bead.
||Repeat Step 5, placing crimp beads and beads so Strand 2 and Strand 1 are slightly different and not matching. Having the beads placed in a random fashion will add dimension, texture and interest to your finished necklace. Continue stringing beads so you have an equal length of Accu-Flex beading wire remaining on each end. Place the end of the beading wire into the Bead Stopper™ (they are designed to hold multiple strands).
Please note: In this instance, the Bead Stoppers are used to hold the wires so you can see how your design is evolving. Otherwise, they are designed to keep beads from falling off your stringing material.
Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with the following length wires to complete five beaded strands:
Strand 3 - 23 inches
Strand 4 - 24 inches
Strand 5 - 25 inches
||Using the side-cutting pliers, cut a 6-inch length of 20-gauge sterling silver wire. Make a wrapped loop on one end, leaving about 4 inches of wire remaining.
Remove one end of Strand 1 from a Bead Stopper. String on a crimp bead then pass the Accu-Flex beading wire through the loop made in Step 7 and back through the crimp. Pull the Accu-Flex tightly so there is about 1/2 to 1-inch of beading wire between the last bead and the wrapped loop. Compress the crimp to secure the wire to the loop. Trim any excess wire.
||Repeat Step 8 to attach all five strands to the wrapped loop.
Repeat Steps 7 - 9 for the other half of the necklace.
||Place a cone, wide end first, onto the length of wire extending above a wrapped loop. Slide the cone down so it covers the wrapped loop and the ends of the wire attached to the loop.
||Place a beaded rondelle onto the wire then begin a wrapped loop. Before wrapping the wire, slip the loop on one half of the clasp onto the wire so it rests inside the loop. Complete the wrap to secure the clasp in place.
Repeat Steps 11 - 12 to finish the second half of the necklace.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.