Bib-Style Necklace with Swarovski Crystal and Acrylic Focal
-- Designer --
Kristal Wick, Jewelry Designer and Instructor and Swarovski crystal AmbassadorTo learn more about Kristal Wick, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), crystal golden shadow, 3.9mm montées, SS16 (2 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), light Colorado topaz, 6.4mm montées (11 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal AB, 12x8mm rondelle (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal copper, 12x8mm rondelle (2 beads)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, jet, 25mm disk (2 components)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, jet, 14x14mm square ring (2 components)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, jet, 14mm cosmic ring (2 components)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, jet, 20mm cosmic ring (2 components)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, crystal copper, 20mm cosmic ring (1 component)
- Component, Swarovski crystal, jet, 20x20mm square ring (2 components)
- Focal, Swarovski crystal, crystal golden shadow, 30mm cosmic ring (2 focals)
- Focal, acrylic, white and black, 41x41mm double-sided diamond go-go with copper-colored lines and 16mm center opening (1 focal)
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal AB, 2.4-2.5mm Xilion round (1 chaton)
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, jet, 4.0-4.1mm Xilion round (3 chatons)
- Organza ribbon, black, 1/4 inch, 6mm
- Lacy's Stiff Stuff
- Wax paste, Gilders Paste, silver
- Wax paste, Gilders Paste, Inca gold
- Adhesive, The Ultimate!
- Adhesive, Jewel Bond glue
- Tool set, needle files, fine
Bib-style necklaces are all the rage on the runway these days. From Valentino to Kate Spade, every fashion forward designer has a line. Create your own custom necklace using sparkly Swarovski crystals, sure to please fashionistas across the globe.
|Using a paper towel, apply Gilders Paste® onto a sheet of Lacy’s Stiff Stuff™. Colors used in Project CA0J are metallic silver (the base) and a metallic antique gold (blended into the silver). Allow to dry
|Using scissors, cut the painted sheet in half and cut a scoop on one of the sheets starting and ending one inch from each side.|
|Audition your components on the bib until you’re happy with the design.
Note: If you’re using buttons with a shank, cut off the shanks so they lie flat. File shank edges if rough.
|Using Jewel Bond™, glue down the following components in the following manner: in the center of the Lacy’s Stiff Stuff, place the acrylic white and black go-go; in the opening of the black and white go-go, place a 12x8mm crystal rondelle; covering the hole in the rondelle, place a 4mm jet chaton; and in the small stringing hole of the black and white go-go, place a 2.4mm crystal AB chaton.|
Tip: Use a toothpick to apply glue to the back of each component making sure you apply the glue liberally. It will dry clear so no worries if a bit seeps out from the edges. Scrape off any excess glue on the crystals with a toothpick before it dries.
Glue the crystals and components in your pattern to the right of the center focal assembly.
Pattern used in Project CA0J:
- 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring, 14mm jet cosmic ring placed in the center of the 30mm cosmic ring and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 14mm jet cosmic ring
- 25mm jet disk and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 25mm jet disk
- 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed on the right side of the 25mm jet disk
- 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed between the 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring and the black and white go-go
- 20mm crystal copper ring placed under the black and white go-go and a 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 20mm ring
- 20x20mm jet square ring to the right of the 20mm crystal copper ring; 6.4mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the 20x20mm jet square ring
- 12x8mm crystal copper rondelle placed to the right of the 20x20mm jet square ring and a 4mm jet chaton placed in the center hole of the 12x8mm rondelle
- 14x14mm jet square ring placed below the meet point of the 30mm crystal golden shadow cosmic ring and the 25mm jet disk pendant and a 3.9mm crystal golden shadow montée placed in the center of the square ring
Note: If needed, you can sew on the heavier stones using needle and thread.
|Using a pencil, trace around your design leaving a 1/4 inch border between the line and the components. Using scissors, cut along the line.|
|Place this layer (the front) on top of the other half (the back) of Lacy’s Stiff Stuff. Trace around the front to create the pattern for the back; using scissors cut out the pattern. Cut two pieces of ribbon, each 22 inches long.|
|Apply a liberal amount of The Ultimate Adhesive onto the back of the bib. Place 1-1/2 inches of one end of one piece of ribbon into the glue at one corner at the start of the scoop. Apply more glue to the top of the ribbon. Repeat on the other side using the other length of ribbon.|
Wear your necklace by tying the ribbons in a bow around your neck.
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.