Multi-Strand Necklace with Kumihimo Mousetail Cord, Silver-Plated Brass Charms and Hill Tribes Silver-Plated Copper Pendant
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, silver-plated brass, 3mm smooth round (4 beads)
- Bead, silver-plated brass, 4mm heishi (2 beads)
- Bead, silver-plated brass, 5mm heishi (2 beads)
- Bead, antiqued silver-plated white brass, 15x11mm fancy cone with dot and swirl accents (2 beads)
- Charm, silver-plated brass, 21x15mm fancy butterfly (6 charms)
- Pendant, Hill Tribes, silver-plated copper, 53x53mm wavy flower with line and swirl design, hidden tube bail with 4mm hole (1 pendant)
- Cone, antiqued silver-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), 15.5x15.5mm with fancy design, fits 10.5mm bead (2 cones)
- Jumpring, silver-plated brass, 5mm round, 18 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Clasp, toggle, Hill Tribes, silver-plated copper, 27mm round with line, triangle and circle design (1 clasp)
- Earwire, silver-finished stainless steel and brass, 15mm flat fishhook with 3x2mm coil, 21 gauge (2 earwires)
- Cord, mousetail, satin, red, 1.5mm
- Cord, mousetail, satin, royal blue, 1.5mm
- Cord, mousetail, satin, dark green, 1.5mm
- Cord, mousetail, satin, gold, 1.5mm
- Thread, Nymo, nylon, size 00, black
- Wire, Wrapit, nickel silver, dead-soft, round, 20 gauge
- Chain, silver-plated brass, 13x9mm twisted cable
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 Gel
- Kumihimo disk, foam, white, 4-1/4 inch round with 22mm inside hole and 32 slots
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Two 5-inch lengths of 20-gauge nickel silver wire
- Two 4-inch lengths of silver-finished 13x9mm twisted cable chain
Separate out the green cords and place them into the kumihimo disk. Braid the green cords in a basic 8-cord pattern for 12 inches. Remove the disk from the cords and temporarily secure the end of the braid.
Separate out the blue cords and place them into the kumihimo disk. Braid the blue cords in a basic 8-cord pattern for 13.5 inches. Remove the disk from the cords and temporarily secure the end of the braid.
Separate out the yellow cords and place them into the kumihimo disk. Braid the yellow cords in a basic 8-cord pattern for 5 inches. Remove the yellow cords from the disc. String onto all eight lengths of yellow cord the loop on one silver-plated 53mm wavy flower pendant. Position the pendant 1/2 inch down onto the end of the braided portion of the cords. Place the yellow cords back into the kumihimo disk and continue weaving the cord in the basic 8-cord pattern for 4 inches.
Repeat Steps 8 and 9 to attach one antiqued silver-plated 15.5x15.5mm cone, one silver-plated 5mm heishi bead, one silver-plated 4mm heishi bead and one silver-plated 3mm round bead to the opposite end of the woven cord necklace.
Repeat to attach the bar portion of the toggle clasp to the second 4-inch length of chain and the wrapped loop on the opposite end of the woven cord.
Repeat to attach a butterfly on the woven cord 2-1/2 inches from the bead cone.
Repeat to attach two butterflies to the opposite side of the necklace.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.