Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal and Antiqued Gold-Plated Pewter Spacers
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal dorado 2X, 3mm Xilion bicone (10 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal vitrail medium, 4mm Xilion bicone (10 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal dorado, 6mm round (45 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal vitrail medium, 8mm round (9 beads)
- Spacer, antiqued gold-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), 13x12mm 2-strand open rectangle (38 spacers)
- Embellishment, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, peridot, foil back, 16x8mm pure baguette fancy stone (10 embellishments)
- Crimp bead, antiqued gold-plated brass, 2mm round, 1.5mm hole (6 crimp beads)
- Crimp cover, antiqued gold-plated brass, 4mm (2 crimp covers)
- Jumpring, antiqued gold-plated brass, 8mm round, 16 gauge (15 jumprings)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 2-inch, 21 gauge (1 headpin)
- Eyepin, antiqued gold-plated brass, 2-inch, 21 gauge (4 eyepins)
- Earwire, antiqued gold-plated brass, 10x2mm plain leverback with shield and open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, lobster claw, antiqued gold-plated brass, 12x7mm (1 clasp)
- Chain, antiqued brass-finished steel, 5x3mm patterned cable link
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, 100% brass, 7 strand, 0.014-inch diameter
- Adhesive, E-6000 Jewelry and Craft
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Jamie Smedley
|Cut a 20-inch length of Accu-Flex® professional-quality beading wire. String on a crimp bead and an 8mm jumpring. Pass the beading wire back through the crimp bead, tighten up the loop of wire and spacing between the jumpring and crimp bead and leave the wire so one end is about 1-1/2 inches long. Crimp the crimp bead using crimping pliers. Using wire cutters, trim any excess beading wire from the short end. Place a crimp cover over the crimp bead to conceal it.|
|Thread the beading wire through a Swarovski vitrail 4mm bicone bead, one hole of one open rectangle ring spacer, then across and through the hole on the other side of the spacer. Add a Swarovski dorado 6mm round bead.
Continue stringing the pattern of open rectangle ring spacer and dorado 6mm round bead until you have strung 10 round beads and 11 spacers.
|String a Swarovski vitrail 8mm round bead then an open rectangle ring spacer. Repeat until you have strung (8) 8mm round beads and 7 spacers.|
|Cut a second 20-inch length of Accu-Flex beading wire. Thread on a crimp bead and crimp it to one end of the beading wire. Trim any excess wire.|
|String the beading wire through the second hole on the spacers, placing a dorado 6mm round bead in between the first 11 spacers.|
|At the center section, below where 8mm crystals were strung in the first row, string on another spacer instead. String the second row of spacers upside down with the curved bottom facing up. The curve will be used to support the Swarovski baguettes later. Repeat until you have strung 8 spacers.|
|Lay the necklace flat onto a 12x12-inch Teflon® sheet with the curved side of the 2nd row of spacers facing up. Attach the nozzle to the E-6000® Jewelry and Craft Adhesive. Using the upside-down bars like a bezel, fill them with E-6000. Using a thin layer of E-6000, lightly coat the middle of the back side of each baguette. Wait 5 minutes then adhere the baguette onto the glued spacer bezels (the curve of the stones nests perfectly into the curve of the upside-down spacers).
Center the baguettes while the adhesive is still malleable. Once they are all in place, allow the adhesive to cure overnight then peel the glue up from the Teflon sheet. If necessary, fill any gaps on the backside with additional E-6000 and use your dampened finger to smooth the surface of the glue.
|Using the jumpring from Step 1, attach the lobster claw clasp. Form an eight jumpring chain starting from the jumpring on the other end of the necklace.
String a vitrail 8mm bead, two 5mm brass jumprings and a dorado 6mm bead onto a headpin. Finish with a wrapped loop, connecting the loop to the last jumpring in the jumpring chain.
Note: When creating the second link. Pass the eyepin through the second set of holes on the other end of the antiqued gold-plated 13x12mm rectangle spacer.
Note: The curved side of the spacer should be facing the front of the earring.
Center the baguette while the adhesive is still malleable. Once it is in place, allow the adhesive to cure overnight then peel the glue up from the Teflon sheet. If necessary, fill any gaps on the backside with additional E-6000 and use your dampened finger to smooth the surface of the glue.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.