Bracelet with Charms, Drops, Swarovski Crystal and Glass Rhinestone Chatons
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, rose peach, 4mm round (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, light Siam AB, 4mm Xilion bicone (5 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated brass, crystal AB, 4x2mm rondelle (6 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, erinite, 8x6mm rondelle (6 beads)
- Bead, antiqued silver-finished pewter (tin-based alloy), 19.5x7mm double-sided dragonfly wings (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 10mm snowflake (5 charms)
- Charm, sterling silver, 12x7mm ''drummer drumming,'' 12th day of Christmas (1 charm)
- Charm, antiqued silver-finished pewter (tin-based alloy), 15x11mm-23x8mm double-sided Christmas theme (2 charms)
- Charm, sterling silver, 17x10mm pine tree (1 charm)
- Charm, silver-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and enamel, red and white, 17.5x8mm single-sided candy cane (2 charms)
- Charm, enamel and pewter (tin-based alloy), multicolored,18x8mm-20x16mm Christmas theme (2 charms)
- Charm, antiqued sterling silver, 19.5x15mm double-sided fairy with flute (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver ballet slippers, approx. 20mm (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver and pink enamel ballerina, 21x12mm (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 22mm ballerina (1 charm)
- Charm, silver-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and enamel, red/white/green, 22x18mm single-sided stocking with teddy bear, candy cane and present (1 charm)
- Charm, antiqued silver-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 23x20mm single-sided crown with (8) PP14, (6) PP21 and (2) PP24 settings (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 24x4mm nutcracker (2 charms)
- Charm, antiqued pewter (tin-based alloy), 25x8mm mouse with moving tail (2 charms)
- Charm, gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and enamel, multicolored, 26x12mm single-sided nutcracker (1 charm)
- Charm, sterling silver, 27x13mm ballerina (1 charm)
- Charm, silver-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and enamel, pink and brown, (two) 28x14mm flat lollipops and (two) 22x12mm flat heart lollipops (2 charms)
- Drop, antiqued silver ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 7mm single-sided round with (1) SS24 setting (5 drops)
- Drop, Swarovski crystal and gold-plated brass, light Siam with foil back, 10x10mm flower fancy stone (3 drops)
- Drop, JBB Findings, antiqued sterling silver, 19x15mm oval with open back and decorative trim, 18x13mm oval bezel setting (5 drops)
- Drop, Swarovski crystal and silver-plated brass, erinite, silver-foil back, 25x8mm single-stone rectangle (3 drops)
- Cabochon, glass, clear, 18x13mm non-calibrated oval (5 cabochons)
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal clear, 3.0-3.2mm Xilion round, PP24 (2 chatons)
- Chaton, glass rhinestone, hematite black, foil back, 1.7-1.8mm round, PP11 (2 chatons)
- Chaton, glass rhinestone, crystal clear, foil back, 1.9-2.0mm round, PP13 (2 chatons)
- Chaton, glass rhinestone, hematite black, foil back, 2.1-2.2mm round, PP15 (2 chatons)
- Chaton, glass rhinestone, light amethyst purple, foil back, 5.3-5.45mm round, SS24 (5 chatons)
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal, crystal clear, 2.4-2.5mm Xilion round (2 chatons)
- Embellishment, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal blue shade, foil back, 2x2mm square fancy stone (6 foil backs)
- Loop Lock, antiqued silver-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), 13mm double-sided textured flat round (13 loop locks)
- Headpin, silver-plated brass, 2-1/2 inches, 21 gauge (6 headpins)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 5mm round, 22 gauge (45 jumprings)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 5.5mm round, 18 gauge (16 jumprings)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, soldered closed, 7mm round, 20.5 gauge (28 jumprings)
- Clasp, sterling silver, 17x11mm triangle toggle (1 clasp)
- Vitrium Clear Protectant sealant
- Top coat, DesignaSeal, clear gloss
- Bezel roller
- 2-part 5-minute epoxy
- Rhinestone positioner
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
Standard paper with scaled / printed nutcracker themed images
For me, Christmas comes alive when I revisit one of my favorite fireside fairytales, the Nutcracker Suite. It is a magical ballet filled with Christmas wonder: a nutcracker prince, armies of gingerbread men and tin soldiers, a devious Mouse King, a candy land kingdom and sugar plum fairies. In this charming Christmas bracelet project, retell the story of the Nutcracker by pulling together key characters into a fantastic "suite" of themed charms, paper images under glass cabochons and Swarovski crystal crystal drops. Display them all on a handcrafted chain made by connecting Loop Locks™ together with soldered jumprings. - Jamie Smedley
|Check the fit of the glass cabochons to the sterling silver mountings to make sure the glass seats well inside the bezel. Select the five that fit best.|
Note: Choose images from copyright-free web or printed sources, or create your own.
|Dab Omni-Gel™ photo transfer liquid onto the image then position the glass cabochon onto the Omni-Gel. Press the glass cabochon down to expel any excess gel.
Repeat to glue all the cabochons onto the images then set aside and let dry until the pieces can be handled, about 1-1/2 hours.
|Use sharp scissors to trim away excess paper from each cabochon. Trim as close as possible to the edge of each cabochon.|
|Use a paintbrush to apply DesignaSeal to the paper backing on each paper image applied to a cabochon; this seals the images. Set aside to dry completely.
Once fully dried, set a cabochon into a bezel mounting so the domed side is facing up and the image facing the correct way. (Having a ballerina standing on her head is less than ideal in this design.)
Using a bezel roller, working in the pattern of North, South, East and West, press down the fancy edges of the bezel so they meet the surface of the cabochon.
|Working in opposing positions between the four spots already pressed into place, continue to press the bezel edges toward the cabochon. Continue until the bezel is completely smooth.
Repeat to secure all bezel mountings around all cabochons.
|Prepare a batch of 2-part 5-minute epoxy then apply a tiny dab into a round pewter drop. Using the rhinestone positioner, place a purple rhinestone chaton into the drop. Carefully clean up any excess epoxy using a toothpick.
Prepare a batch of 2-part 5-minute epoxy then apply a tiny dab into a round pewter drop. Using the rhinestone positioner, place a purple rhinestone chaton into the drop. Carefully clean up any excess epoxy using a toothpick.
|Repeat Step 6 to apply chatons to the crown.
Tip:To create the illusion of shading, darker chatons were used in the outer opening and lighter chatons in the inside/center openings. The bottom row of openings is filled with square, blue shade chatons.
|Thread a Swarovski crystal erinite 8mm rondelle, a crystal 4mm rondelle, a pewter wing bead and a crystal rose peach 4mm round onto a silver-plated headpin. Finish the headpin with a wrapped loop to form a fairy dangle.|
Assembling the Bracelet
|Open a second loop lock and thread on two of the soldered jumprings added in Step 10. Add two more soldered jumprings. Close the loop lock.
Repeat Steps 10-11 until you form a bracelet that is long enough, minus the clasp.
|Open a 5.5mm sterling silver jumpring and add it to a pair of soldered jumprings on one end of the bracelet. Close the jumpring. Add a series of three more 5.5mm jumprings to the 5.5mm jumpring just added, to make a chain of 4 jumprings. Add the toggle bar to the last jumpring added.|
|Open two more 5.5mm sterling silver jumprings. Thread one onto the toggle portion of the clasp and close. Thread the second open jumpring through the jumpring attached to the toggle and through the pair of soldered jumprings on the other end of the bracelet. Close the jumpring.|
|Connect the bracelet to a Chain Sta so the bar portion of the toggle is on the left hand side.
Using 5mm sterling silver jumprings, connect the themed charms onto the bracelet in a "chronological" fashion starting at the toggle bar end--the beginning of the story--and moving to the right with charms that tell the story as it progresses. You can hang charms from the Loop Locksas well as the soldered jumprings. Note: The drops and charms may need a second jumpring added to hang properly from the bracelet.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
- ''Making a Wrapped Loop and Double-Wrapped Loop'' illustrated instructions
- ''How to Use Loop Lock Findings'' illustrated instructions
- ''Setting a Cabochon with a Bezel Roller and Burnisher'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.