Multi-Strand Necklace and Earrings with Seed Beads, Gold-Plated "Pewter" Drops and Focals and Friendly Plastic®
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, Czech fire-polished glass, light red, 4mm faceted round (6 beads)
- Seed bead, Matsuno, Root Beer, transparent, #6 round
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, silver-lined emerald green, #11 round with square hole
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, yellow, silver-lined transparent, #11 square hole
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, red, matte silver-lined, #11 round
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, white, opaque rainbow, #11 round
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, turquoise blue, silver-lined transparent, #11 round hole
- Drop, gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 17x17x11.5mm beaded triangle with 11x11x6mm non-calibrated triangle setting (2 drops)
- Drop, gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 21x19mm crest with triangle cutout and 13x8mm non-calibrated half-oval setting (2 drops)
- Focal, epoxy and gold-plated brass, clear, 32x16mm star cluster (1 focal)
- Focal, gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 46x33.5mm trapezoid with 44x30mm non-calibrated trapezoid setting (1 focal)
- Cone, gold-plated brass, 16x16mm fancy filigree cone, fits 13-15mm bead (6 cones)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 4mm round, 20 gauge (10 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 5mm round, 20 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 19mm leverback with open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 25mm round with 19mm non-calibrated round setting and 17x9mm S-hook (2 clasps)
- Beading supply, Bead Stopper
- Thread, Silkon, bonded nylon, lightweight #1, green
- Chain, silver-finished brass, 1mm ball, 36-inch with 1-inch extender chain and lobster claw clasp
- Wire, Zebra Wire, color-coated copper, red, round, 22 gauge
- Jeweler's grade resin, ICE Resin 2-part formula, crystal clear
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid green with black base, 7x1-1/2-inch rectangle
- Glitter, assorted Christmas theme colors
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 Gel
- Adhesive, Judi Kins Diamond Glaze
- Non-stick art sheet, Teflon, white, 6x6-inch
- Jeweler saw
- Saw blade, steel, sizes 1/0 to 6/0, 5 inches
- Tool, Speedy Stringer bowl, wood, includes ''J'' needle
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Artist brushes
Royalty free internet images
Press the #11 red, yellow and turquoise seed beads onto the front of the tree for the ornaments and the #6 root beer seed beads onto the bottom of the tree to create the tree trunk. Press the cut edge of the epoxy and gold-plated star into the Friendly Plastic on the top point of the tree.
Designer Tip: Never leave Friendly Plastic unattended on heat source. When melting Friendly Plastic, avoid temperatures that are set too high as it can cause scorching and undesirable color changes.
Mix the ICE Resin per the manufacturer’s instructions. Carefully pour the liquid into the bezel until approximately 1/3 full. Allow the resin to set for 5 hours.
Mix and carefully pour a second layer of ICE Resin over the design until the bezel is almost full. Allow the resin to set for 5 hours.
Repeat to attach the first end of the second 3-1/2 inch strands of seed beads to the eye portion of the second clasp.
Repeat to attach one gold-plated 16x16mm fancy filigree cone and one glass light red 4mm faceted round bead with a wrapped loop to the opposite end of the 3-1/2 inch emerald green strands and to both ends of the 10-inch emerald green strands.
Repeat to attach a second set of 3-1/2 inch of green seed beads to the focal piece.
Open a 4mm jumpring. Pass it through the wrapped loop on the first end of the 10-inch emerald green strands and the previous 4mm jumpring. Close the jumpring.
Repeat to attach four 4mm jumprings to the opposite end of the 10-inch emerald green strands and the second clasp making sure the picture is facing down toward the focal piece.
Repeat Steps 1 - 4 using green glitter to create two gold-plated 17x17x11.5mm triangle drops.
Open the loop on an earwire. Pass it through the loop on the straight edge of the crest drop. Close the loop.
Repeat Step 6 to assemble the second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
- ''Inserting a Saw Blade into a Jeweler’s Saw Frame'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Knots'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Bead cones'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Bead stopper'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.