Triple-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal, Gold-Plated Steel Focals and Antiqued Gold-Plated Steel Links
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, white, 8mm round (25 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, creamrose light, 8mm round (12 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, cream, 10mm round (17 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, creamrose light, 10mm round (7 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, white, 12mm round (11 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, cream, 12mm round (7 pearls)
- Pearl, Swarovski crystal, white, 16mm round with 1.3-1.5mm hole (3 pearls)
- Link, antiqued gold-plated steel, 14x14mm single-sided domed square (16 links)
- Focal, gold-plated steel, 39x8mm chain tassel (10 focals)
- End bar, antiqued gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 25x4.5mm single-sided 3-strand rectangle with X design (1 end bar)
- End bar, antiqued gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 26x5mm single-sided 2-strand rectangle with X design (1 end bar)
- Spacer, antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and Czech glass rhinestone, clear, 35x15mm 2-strand fancy rectangle (1 spacer)
- Spacer, antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and Czech glass rhinestone, clear, 39x17mm 2-strand fancy double circle (1 spacer)
- Crimp, 12Kt gold-filled, 2x2mm smooth tube, 1.1mm inside diameter (24 crimp beads)
- Bead tip, Hot Tips, antiqued gold-plated brass, 5mm leaf (44 bead tips)
- Jumpring, antiqued gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 18 gauge (22 jumprings)
- Jumpring, antiqued gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 20 gauge (13 jumprings)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 2-inch, 21 gauge (9 headpins)
- Earwire, antiqued gold-plated brass, 16mm leverback with 7x2mm plain shield and open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, lobster claw, antiqued brass-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 20x11mm with double-sided flower design (1 clasp)
- Thread, Purely Silk, white, size FFF
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 26 gauge
- Tool set, beading awl
- Needle, Wide-Eye Needle, nickel-finished stainless steel, #16, 1-1/2 to 5-inch
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, crimping
Nothing says wedding like knotted pearls and filigree. When I got married 20 years ago, I wish I had a necklace that could withstand the test of time. It would make sharing my wedding photos so much more fun. That was my motivation for this multi-strand necklace project featuring an update on classical pearl knotting. Contemporary meets classical with randomly mixed knotted segments with fancy Hot Tips® and antiqued filigree. Finish the look off with an asymmetrical arrangement of chain tassels for a distinctive bridal style that will still look classically beautiful even after 20 years.
- Jamie Smedley
Preparing the Materials and Focal Component
|Align the two fancy spacers so they are flat, one in front of the other, and so the crystals for each are on the lower half. Flip them over, maintaining their correct positioning. Pass one end of one 10-inch length of wire through one loop on one side of a 35x15mm fancy rectangle spacer, leaving a 1-inch tail of wire. Wrap the wire around the loop on the spacer to secure it in place. Bring the wire through the paired up loop on the 39x17mm fancy double circle spacer of the wire then through the loop on the rectangle spacer.|
|Repeat passing the wire through both loops, creating a hinge. Tip: Make sure the two spacers have room to swing like a hinge, if the wire is wrapped too tight it might eventually snap with wear.|
|Pass the working wire end toward the front of the circle spacer, through the opening next to the loop, over the loops of wire, down toward the front of the circle spacer on the other side of the loop then through the opening next to the loop. Wrap the wire through the opening again to secure. Trim the excess.|
|Wrap the tail end of the wire through the loops one time then anchor in a place that hides the end. Trim any excess then tuck in the ends as needed so they are finished neatly.|
|Repeat to wire wrap the other loop of each spacer together.|
|Fold one 4-inch length of wire in half. Pass both ends of the wire through the space on one side of the rhinestone flower on the 39x17mm spacer, working from front to back. Pass the ends through the loop created when folding the wire in half then pull snugly so the loop rests against the side of the spacer, creating a Lark’s head knot with the wire.
Pass the ends of the same wire through the space on the other side of the rhinestone flower. Wrap the wire around itself to finish, and then trim any excess if needed. Use chain-nose pliers to tuck in the ends so they don’t catch when worn.
|Attach one 6mm 20-gauge jumpring to each remaining loop on the 35x15mm fancy rectangle and 39x17mm fancy double circle spacer. Set this assembly aside.|
|String onto one end of the length of thread, one Hot Tips antiqued gold-plated 9x5mm leaf bead tip and one gold-filled 2x2mm crimp bead. Pass the thread through the crimp bead once more in the same direction looping through the crimp bead leaving approximately 1/2 inch of thread on one end.|
|String onto the thread, one leaf bead tip and one crimp bead. Pass the thread through the crimp bead once more in the same direction looping through the crimp bead. Using crimping pliers, crimp the crimp bead. Using scissors, trim the thread close to the crimp bead. Using chain-nose pliers, gently close the leaf bead tip concealing the crimp bead.|
- One length of one Swarovski pearl
- One length of fourteen Swarovski pearls
- One length of nine Swarovski pearls
- Two lengths of three Swarovski pearls
- Two lengths of seven Swarovski pearls
- Two lengths of five Swarovski pearls
- One length of two Swarovski pearls
- One length of four Swarovski pearls
|Pass one 6mm 18-gauge jumpring through the loop on one antiqued brass-finished 20x11mm lobster claw clasp and the loop on the single loop side of one antiqued gold-plated 26x5mm end bar with two loops. Close the jumpring. Repeat to attach a second jumpring to the same loop.|
|Pass the open loop on a leaf bead tip, on one end of the knotted pearls from Step 7 (the end with an 8mm round pearl) through the right-side loop on the two loop side of the 26x5mm end bar. Using chain-nose pliers, close the loop. Attach the loop of the bead tip at the end of this strand of pearls to the jumpring on the right side of the 35x15mm fancy rectangle from Step 5.
Repeat to attach one leaf bead tip on the knotted pearls from Step 9 to the left loop on the end bar and to the left side of the 35x15mm fancy rectangle.
Assembling the First Strand
|Attach a leaf bead tip on one end of a length of three knotted pearls to the jumpring on the bottom right side of the fancy double circle spacer. Attach the leaf bead tip on the opposite end of this length of pearls to the loop on one end of two antiqued gold-plated 14x14mm domed squares, assembled facing back to back.|
Assembling the Second Strand
Attach the last bead tip to the center loop of the 3-loop end bar from Step 16.
Assembling the Third Strand
|Pass one open 6mm 18-gauge jumpring through an unopened 6mm 18-gauge jumpring and the loop on the single-loop side of an end bar with three loops. Close the jumpring.
Add a series of four more jumprings to the last jumpring connected to the end bar to create an eight-length jumpring chain.
|String onto one gold-plated 2-inch headpin, one leaf bead tip so the head of the headpin rests inside the bead tip. Using chain-nose pliers gently close the leaf bead tip concealing the end of the headpin.|
|String the following onto the headpin: one Swarovski white 8mm pearl, one leaf bead tip so the bead tip loop faces away from the pearl and one gold-filled 2x2mm crimp bead.
Open the leaf bead tip wide so the crimp can be reached with crimping pliers; crimp the crimp bead approximately 1/8 inch above the Swarovski pearl. (This will allow the bead tip to close properly.) Using flush-cutters trim the excess from the straight end of the headpin that extends above the crimp bead.
Gently close the leaf bead tip concealing the crimp bead then close the loop of the bead tip to create a Swarovski pearl link.
|Pass the open loop on a leaf bead tip on one end of the Swarovski pearl link through the loop on one gold-plated 39x8mm chain tassel. Using chain-nose pliers, close the loop.
Repeat Steps 21 - 22 to create a total of five Swarovski white 8mm pearl and tassel drops and two Swarovski light cream rose 8mm pearl and tassel drops.
Repeat to create a chain of four 6mm 20-gauge jumprings and attach one Swarovski light cream rose 8mm pearl and tassel drop to the right corner of the second domed square on the second strand.
- One Swarovski white 8mm pearl
- One leaf bead tip
- One gold-filled 2x2mm crimp bead
Using chain-nose pliers, close the loop on the opposite end of the Swarovski white 8mm pearl and tassel drop.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at email@example.com.