Bib-Style Necklace and Earring Set with Cupchain and Swarovski Crystal
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Drop, silver-plated brass, 13mm round bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 12mm round cabochon or flat-backed crystal (2 drops)
- Drop, silver-plated brass, 31x23mm oval bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 30x22mm oval cabochon or flat-backed crystal (3 drops)
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal clear, foil back, 8.16-8.41mm rivoli, SS39 (2 chatons)
- Embellishment, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal clear, foil back, 18x13mm oval fancy stone (3 embellishments)
- Connector, silver-finished brass, 4.5x4.5mm, fits 4mm cupchain (30 connectors)
- Jumpring, silver-plated brass, 4mm round, 20 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Jumpring, silver-plated brass, 6x4mm oval, 18 gauge (3 jumprings)
- Earnut, silver-plated stainless steel, 6x5mm (2 earnuts)
- Earstud, silver-plated brass and stainless steel, 5mm ball post with loop (2 earstuds)
- Clasp, magnetic fold-over, imitation rhodium-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 32x14mm matte rectangle with end cap, 10.5x2.5mm hole, standard strength (1 clasp)
- Cupchain, Chinese glass rhinestone and silver-finished brass, clear, 2mm round
- Cupchain, Chinese glass rhinestone and silver-finished brass, clear, 4mm round
- Cupchain, Chinese glass rhinestone and silver-finished brass, light red, 4mm round
- Top coat, Signature Series Magic-Glos by Lisa Pavelka, non-toxic dimensional gloss
- Adhesive, Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy, 2-part
- Flux, Canfield Blu-Glass, low fume
- Solder wire, Pewter-Finish, silver/tin/copper alloy, 2.5mm
- Soldering iron, chrome-plated steel / plastic / rubber, black and grey, 120 volt / 60HTZ / 80 watt, 9-3/4 x 1-1/4 inches
- Tinning block, ammonium chloride, white, 2-1/4 x 1-3/4 x 1-1/2 rectangle
- C-clamp set, powder-coated steel, red, 1-inch to 4-3/4 inch
- Rotary tool, steel, grinding and polishing set with case
- Nipper, steel and plastic, blue, 5-18/ inch
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Artist brushes
- Three 23-link lengths of clear 2mm cupchain
- One 72-link length of light red 4mm cupchain
- Two 2-link lengths
- Two 5-link lengths
- One 9-link length
- Two 12-link lengths
- Three 17-link lengths
- One 22-link length
- Two 24-link lengths
- One 69-link length
- One 74-link length
|Apply Magic-Glos® to the base of the bezel at the inner edge of the cupchain. Cure under a UV light for 15 minutes.|
|Insert a cone-shaped sanding/drilling tip into a rotary tool flex shaft. Gently drill a graduated oval recess in the cured Magic-Glos in the center of the oval bezel. Take care not to scuff the rhinestone rim or drill through the back side of the bezel. Place one Swarovski crystal clear 18x13mm oval fancy stone embellishment in the drilled oval recess to make sure it will rest well.|
|Using a pair of flat-nose pliers attach one cupchain connector to each end of the remaining lengths of cupchain.|
|Lay the 74-link length of cupchain out flat on a heatproof surface with the back facing up. Lay the connector loop from the 22-link length over the fourth link mark on one side of the 74-link length. Apply flux to the connector loop and center of the back of the fourth link.|
|Tin a hot soldering iron with Canfield Pewter-Finish™ solder wire. Hold the soldering iron tip to the fluxed metal until it flows and covers the join--connecting the loop to the back of the link--this happens quickly. Remove the soldering iron tip and allow pewter join to cool and become stable before moving it.
Repeat to solder the opposite end of the 22-link length to the fourth link from center on the opposite side of the 74-link length.
Note: The solder is shiny like mercury in its molten stage, and will cloud over and dull once it cools. Use the sal ammoniac block to clean the tip of the soldering iron after each connection.
|Solder one 2-link length to the 24-link and 22-link lengths, between the fourth and sixth links of the 74-link length, approximately five links from the connected ends. It may help to place the design on a display to view the angles of the joins so the drape hangs properly when worn. Repeat to solder each end of one 5-link length three links from the 2-link length and one 12-link length three links from the 5-link length.|
Note: Once design is cool, check hanging direction of all loops. If any do not flow smoothly, reheat the connection and adjust the angle of the loop. Repeat if needed.
|Using a 6x4mm oval jumpring, connect a bezel component to the center of the 74-link length (it will be surrounded by the twenty-two link length).|
|With the back side facing up, mark the centers of the soldered necklace, the red 72-link length and the clear 69-link length. Solder the three strands together at the center marks.|
|Mix Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy according to manufacturer's instructions. Inject epoxy into the well of one portion of the fold-over magnetic clasp. Set aside for approximately 2 minutes until it begins to firm but is still tacky. Place the portion right side up on a nonstick surface. Align the three loop connector ends of the necklace and verify the cupchain is lying flat. Push the loop ends into the epoxy and allow to dry completely. Repeat to attach the second portion of the clasp.|
- Two 12-link lengths of clear 2mm cupchain
- Two 17-link lengths of clear 4mm cupchain
Note: Work quickly to avoid yellowing of the surface of the bezel. If this does happen, easily clean the patina off with a dip cleaning solution.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
- ''How To Use a Sal Ammoniac Block to Maintain Your Soldering Iron'' illustrated instructions
- ''Glues'' how-to video and instructions
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.