Bracelet with Gold-Finished "Pewter" and Resin Charm, Celestial Crystal® Bead and Kumihimo Imitation Silk Cord
-- Designer --
Esther, Lead Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Celestial Crystal, glass, 34-facet, red, 6mm twisted round (1 bead)
- Charm, gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy) and resin, multicolored, 19x14mm single-sided snowman (1 charm)
- Jump ring, antique gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 4.2mm inside diameter, 18 gauge (2 jump rings)
- Jump ring, antique gold-plated brass, 7mm round, 5.1mm inside diameter, 18 gauge (9 jump rings)
- Crimp, JBB Findings, antiqued brass, 10x6.5mm tube with swivel, loop and rope trim design, 4mm inside diameter (2 crimps)
- Head pin, antique gold-plated brass, 1 inch, 21 gauge (1 head pin)
- Clasp, lobster claw, antique brass-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 17x10mm with double-sided paw heart design (1 clasp)
- Thread, Nymo, nylon, black, size D
- Cord, imitation silk, medium green, 1mm
- Cord, imitation silk, red, 1mm
- Adhesive, E6000 Fray Lock, crystal clear
- Kumihimo disk, EVA foam
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, crimping
Cut the following lengths of imitation silk cord: one 4-inch length of desired color, one 54-inch length of medium green and one 54-inch length of red.
String one 6mm twisted round onto a 1-inch head pin then form a simple loop.
Line up the four 54-lengths of cord then fold in half. Tie the 4-inch length of cord around the four folded ends to secure them together.
Insert the folded end into the center of the Kumihimo disc. Ensure the folded end of the cords are held firmly in place. The cords should be tight in their slots.
Tip: If desired, hook a kumihimo weight onto the folded end to assist in applying tension to the braid.
Insert the strands into the slots on either side of the dots with one color in top slots #32 and #1 and bottom slots #17 and #16 and the second color in right side slots #8 and #9 and left side slots #24 and #25.
Holding the kumihimo disc with North at the top of the disc, begin the braid by moving the bottom left #17 strand to the top left #31 slot.
Move the top right #1 strand to the bottom right #15 slot.
Rotate the disc counter-clockwise 1/4 turn so East is now at the top. Move bottom left #25 strand to top left #7 slot.
Move top right #9 strand to bottom right #23 slot.
Rotate the disc counter-clockwise 1/4 turn so South is at the top. Repeat this pattern of "left up, right down, rotate" until you reach the desired braid length.
Tip: If you need to take a break, always stop when there are three strands at the top, so you always know which strand needs to move next.
Once the desired length is reached, tie off the end using a small length of black thread then apply E6000® Fray Lock to the braid. Set aside to cure according to manufacturer's instructions.
Once cured, trim the cord.
Insert one end of the kumihimo braid into one 10x6.5mm tube crimp then crimp. Repeat to add a crimp to the opposite end of the braid.
Pass one 7mm jump ring through one 6mm twisted round drop and one 7mm jump ring then close. Continue to add 7mm jump rings to create an extender chain, attaching the last 7mm jump ring to one crimp.
Using one 6mm jump ring, attach one snowman charm to the opposite crimp.
Repeat to attach the lobster claw clasp to the same crimp as the snowman charm.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.