Earrings with Swarovski Crystal Drops and Sterling Silver Charms
Better with Two
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Drop, Swarovski crystal, red magma, 18mm heart pendant (2 drops)
- Charm, sterling silver, 17x16.5mm single-sided smooth flat heart, 23-25 gauge (2 charms)
- Jumpring, silver-plated, 9mm round, 18 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Earwire, sterling silver, 15mm flat fishhook with coil and open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Hammer, steel and China berry tree wood, 11 inches overall
- Ball peen hammer
- Tool, steel, 3-3/4x3/4 inch square bench block
- Polishing paper, green, 400 grit, 5x5 inch square
- Stamp punch, tempered chrome vanadium steel, 5x5mm heart
- Steel hole punch
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
Position the 17x16.5mm sterling silver heart charm into an opening on the steel hole punch. Twist the handle of the punch until a hole is punched out of the bottom point of the charm.
Lay the 17x16.5mm sterling silver heart charm flat on the surface of a steel bench block or stable work surface.
Using the checkered texture side of a texture hammer, strike the surface of the 17x16.5mm sterling silver heart charm until desired texture is achieved.
Place a heart steel punch onto the heart charm. Strike the end of the punch with the flat head of a ballpeen hammer. Repeat to add hearts where you'd like.
Use Patina Gel according to instructions to blacken the heart symbols then polish away excess patina with a 400-grit polishing paper.
Open the loop on one sterling silver fishhook earwire then pass it through the top loop of the 17x16.5mm sterling silver heart charm. Close the loop.
Open one 9mm silver-plated jumpring and pass it through the bottom hole on the 17x16.5mm sterling silver heart charm and one 18mm Swarovski faceted heart drop. Close the jumpring.
Repeat Steps 1 - 6 to create the second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.