Hair Stick with Feathers, Mylar Strips and Silver-Plated Brass Chain
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Czech fire-polished glass, iris green, 3mm round (5 beads)
- Bell cap, nickel-plated brass, 7-prong, 10mm (1 bell cap)
- Crimp bead, sterling silver, 2x2mm cut tube (1 crimp bead)
- Crimp, sterling silver, 3x1mm tube with loop (5 crimp beads)
- Jumpring, silver-plated, 3mm round, 20 gauge (5 jumprings)
- Jumpring, silver-plated, 4mm round, 20 gauge (1 jumprings)
- Hair stick, dark stained wood, 6 inches long (1 hair stick)
- Rubber ring, Oh! Ring, red-orange, 3mm round, 2mm inside diameter (1 Oh! Ring)
- Feather, chicken, brown, 3-1/2 to 7-1/2 inch saddle hackle (5 feathers)
- Strip, Mylar, black holographic, 14x1/32 inch (12 strips)
- Chain, silver-plated brass, 3x2.5mm cable
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 gel
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, bend the prongs on a 10mm bell cap to fit the end of the wood hair stick.
Using Loctite® 409 gel adhesive, place a small amount of glue on the inside of each of the prongs on the bell cap. Place the bell cap on the end of the hair stick, making sure that all of the prongs on the bell cap are contacting the wood. Allow the glue to completely set according to manufacturer's instructions.
Using flush-cutters, cut one 3-3/4 inch length and one 5-inch length of silver-plated 3x2.5mm cable chain.
String one 3mm faceted round iris green glass bead onto the shaft of a hackle feather. String one crimp tube onto the feather with the loop facing the end. Cut the shaft of the feather flush with the end of the crimp. Place a small amount of adhesive inside the crimp. Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, compress the crimp tube to hold the feather in place creating a feather drop. Repeat to create five feather drops.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and flat-nose pliers, open a 3mm jumpring. Pass it through the loop on a feather drop and the 25th link of the 3-3/4 inch length of chain. Close the jumpring. Repeat to attach a feather drop to the last link on the 3-3/4 inch length of chain.
Repeat to attach a feather drop to the 3rd, 40th and last link on the 5-inch length of chain.
Pass twelve lengths of black Mylar strips through one crimp bead and one 4mm jumpring. Position the crimp bead and jumpring on the center of the Mylar strips and pass the end of the Mylar strips back through the crimp bead. Snug the crimp tube up next to the jumpring. Crimp the crimp bead to hold the Mylar strips in place.
Open the 4mm jumpring. Pass the jumpring through the first link on the 3-3/4 inch length of chain and the 5-inch length of chain. Close the jumpring.
Pass a rubber ring over the jumpring and position it over the 3rd link on each of the chains and the crimp on the Mylar strips to hold the top of the drops together.
Open the 4mm jumpring. Pass it through the loop on the bell cap attached to the hair stick and the jumpring on the Mylar strips. Close the jumpring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.