Hair Clip with Feathers, Swarovski Crystal Flat Backs and Silver-Plated Brass Component
-- Designer --
Esther, Lead Jewelry Designer, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal, peridot, silver-foil back, 1.9mm round (8 flat backs)
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, peridot, silver-foil back, 3.2mm round (4 flat backs)
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, peridot, silver-foil back, 3.9mm round (1 flat back)
- Hair clip, silver-plated steel, 45mm heart with 5 hole (1 hair clip)
- Component, silver-plated brass, 22mm filigree round (1 component)
- Feather mix, emu, multicolored, 4x1/4 to 7-1/2x1/4 inch (2 feathers)
- Feather mix, turkey, mixed colors, 4-6 inch marabou style (2 feathers)
- Feather mix, chicken, multicolored, 3-1/2 to 7-1/2 inch saddle hackle (7 feathers)
- Feather, goose, multicolored, 4 x 1/8 to 6-1/2 x 1/8 inch biot (3 feathers)
- Wire, Zebra Wire, color-coated copper, silver, round, 28 gauge
- Adhesive, G-S Hypo cement
- Tool, hot glue gun with stand
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, chain-nose
Using G-S Hypo cement, attach a 4mm peridot Swarovski flat back crystal to the center of a silver-plated 20mm round filigree component.
Repeat to attach four 3mm peridot Swarovski flat back crystals in a square pattern 1/4 inch from the center flat back crystal.
Repeat to attach eight 1.9mm peridot Swarovski flat back crystals, two on each spiral between the 3mm flat back crystals.
Using a hot glue gun, place a small amount of hot glue on the inside of a second silver-plated 20mm round filigree component. Press the top of seven orange chicken hackle feathers into the hot glue. Continue adding small amounts of hot glue to the inside of the filigree component, layering on two green turkey feathers, two green emu feathers and three yellow goose feathers.
Using flush-cutters, cut one 15-inch length of silver-plated 28-gauge round wire.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, pass the wire around the outer edge of the filigree component with the feathers and make two wraps to secure the wire in place. Place the crystal adorned filigree component on top of the filigree component with feathers, aligning the holes. Pass the wire through the top filigree component and back through the bottom filigree component until the two pieces are secured together. Position the back of the filigree components over the heart shaped hair clip. Pass the wire through the holes at the top of the hair clip and though the back filigree component. Continue to wrap the wire until the focal piece is secured to the hairclip. Tuck remaining wire inside the filigree components.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.