Brooch with Mother-of-Pearl Bead, Everlasting Green Curly Shell and Gold-Plated Brass Drops and Cones
-- Designer --
Esther, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, mother-of-pearl, mixed colors, 10mm flat round (1 bead)
- Bead, everlasting green curly shell, large (1 bead)
- Bead cap, gold-finished aluminum, 8mm round, for 10-12mm bead (2 bead caps)
- Drop, gold-plated brass, 15mm round go-go (1 drop)
- Cone, gold-plated brass, 16x16mm fancy filigree cone, fits 13-15mm bead (2 cones)
- Link, gold-plated brass, 18x17mm fancy diamond (1 link)
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal, jet, silver-foil back, 2.6mm round, SS9 (1 flat back)
- Headpin mix, silver-plated brass with epoxy, mixed colors, 24mm long with 3mm round (1 headpin)
- Pin back, gold-plated steel, 1-inch with locking bar (1 pin back)
- Molding compound, Apoxie Sculpt, 2-part epoxy, pink, bronze, orange and natural
- Wax paste, Gilders Paste, Inca gold
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 gel
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
Using chain-nose pliers gently flatten a gold-plated 16mm bead cone positioning the crease of the two sides of the bead cone in the center, forming one set of wings.
Repeat to create a second set of wings.
Mix the bronze Apoxie® Sculpt molding compound according to manufacturer's instructions. Form a pea-sized circle of Apoxie and press it into the center hole on one gold-plated 15mm go-go drop. Press the 10mm flat round mother-of-pearl shell bead onto the front of the gold-plated 15mm go-go drop over the hole leaving the upper edge of the drop exposed to create a halo. Place a thin layer of Apoxie on the entire front surface of the gold-plated 18x17mm fancy diamond link.
Make sure to use proper ventilation when using this product.
Form a pea-sized circle of Apoxie and press it into the back of the gold-plated 15mm mother-of-pearl shell go-go drop. Press the mother-of-pearl shell go-go drop into the Apoxie on the top of the fancy diamond drop.
Form a pea-sized circle of Apoxie and press it into the center on the front of the fancy diamond link. Press the everlasting green curly shell into the Apoxie creating the skirt of the angel.
Form a smaller pea-sized circle of Apoxie and press it in to the left of the center of the fancy diamond drop. Press one flattened bead cone into the Apoxie to attach the wings. Repeat to attach the second bead cone to the right side of the fancy diamond link.
Form a smaller pea-sized circle of Apoxie and press it in to the center of the two sets of wings.
Using flush-cutters, trim one silver-plate and epoxy 24mm headpin to 10mm. Pass the headpin through one gold-plated 8mm bead cap. Using round-nose pliers, bend the straight end of the wire to 90 degree angle about 5mm down from the beadcap. Press the headpin with gold-plated 8mm bead cap into the Apoxie.
Apply a thick layer of Apoxie onto the flat pad on one gold-plated 1-inch pin back. Press the pin back parallel to the wings on the back of the fancy diamond drop.
Using a brush, apply a thin layer of Inca gold Gilders Paste® over the Apoxie on the back of the brooch. Allow paste to dry for 12 to 24 hours.
Note: Thin out with paint thinner or mineral spirits to transform the highly concentrated paste to a preferred consistency. Use in a well-ventilated area.
Using Loctite® 409 Gel adhesive attach a 2.5mm jet flat back crystal onto the center of the gold-plated 8mm bead cap.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.