Earrings with Antiqued Pewter Charm, Czech Pearl-Coated Glass Druk Beads and Pebeo Paints
Black Widow's Web
-- Designer --
Alice, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Alice Gershowitz, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Czech pearl-coated glass druk, copper, 4mm round (4 beads)
- Drop, silver-plated brass, 13mm round bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 12mm round cabochon or flat-backed crystal (2 drops)
- Charm, antiqued pewter (tin-based alloy), 16x15mm spider (2 charms)
- Cabochon, glass, clear, 12mm non-calibrated round (2 cabochons)
- Jumpring, silver-plated brass, 4mm round, 22 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Headpin, silver-plated brass, 3/4 inch with 1.5mm ball, 24 gauge (4 headpins)
- Earwire, silver-plated brass, 17mm fishhook with 2mm ball and open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Chain, antiqued silver-finished steel, 2mm flat cable
- Porcelain paint, Pebeo, transparent anthracite black
- Porcelain paint, Pebeo, transparent scarlet red
- Glass paint, Pebeo, semi-transparent sun yellow
- Adhesive, Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy, 2-part
- Adhesive set, assorted Mod Podge glue sealer
- Toaster oven, Hamilton Beach Easy Reach
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Artist brushes
Using an artist's brush, apply a thin layer of black Pebeo porcelain paint to the front side of one spider charm. Use a fine tip awl to pierce any air bubbles that may have appeared. Allow to dry approximately one hour.
Continue to apply thin layers until you've reached the desired thickness. Allow each layer to dry.
Tip: Pebeo paint is transparent, but can be brought to an opaque finish with additional coats of paint.
Repeat to apply to a second spider charm.
Blend a small amount of sun yellow and transparent scarlet red paint together creating a deeper red shade.
Tip: You can blend paint colors in a plastic, lidded container to create your own palette. After blending, close the lid then allow the paint to settle for a few hours or overnight to allow any air bubbles created from mixing to dissipate. Once you are done using this color, put the lid back on and store with your other paints.
Using an artist's brush, apply a small dot of the blended mix to the center of the abdomen on each charm.
Allow 24-hours for the spider charms to dry then bake in toaster/craft oven according to manufacturer's instructions.
Select or sketch two images of a spider web sized to approximately 12x12mm onto a sheet of paper. Then cut out the images.
Apply a small amount of Mod Podge® to the flat center of the bezel on one 13mm round beaded drop. Place one spider web image into the bezel. Let the adhesive set for approximately 15 minutes or until dry.
Repeat to add a spider web image to a second spider web beaded drop.
Mix Devcon® 5 Minute® Epoxy according to manufacturer's instructions. Apply a thin layer to the back of one clear 12mm cabochon. Press the cabochon into the bezel sandwiching the paper image. Allow the adhesive to set for five minutes. Make sure to use proper ventilation when using this product.
Repeat to add a cabochon to the second spider web beaded drop.
Cut the following lengths of 2mm flat cable chain: two 2-inch lengths, two 1-1/2 inch lengths and two 5/8 inch lengths
String one Czech glass copper 4mm round onto one 3/4 inch ball headpin then form a simple loop. Repeat to create a total of four copper drops.
Open the loop on one copper drop and pass it through the first link on one 2-inch length of chain then close. Repeat to add a copper drop to the remaining 2-inch length of chain and the two 1-1/2 inch lengths of chain.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through the loop on one spider charm and the first link on one 5/8 inch length of chain.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through the last link on one spider charm drop, one 1-1/2 inch chain and copper drop and one 2-inch chain and copper drop then close.
Pass the loop on one fishhook earwire through one spider web beaded drop and the previous 4mm jumpring connecting the lengths of chain.
Repeat Steps 10 - 12 to create second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
''Glues'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.