Ornament with Apoxie® Sculpt and Mica Powder
-- Designer --
Jude, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, white opal AB, 6mm Xilion bicone (3 beads)
- Bead cap, antiqued silver-plated brass, 8x8mm 4-petal flower, fits 6-8mm bead (2 bead caps)
- Crimp bead, sterling silver, 2x2mm cut tube, 1.1mm inside diameter (2 crimp beads)
- Wire protector, Accu-Guard, silver-plated brass, 4x4mm tube, 0.5mm inside diameter (1 wire protector)
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, nylon and stainless steel, clear, 49 strand, 0.019-inch diameter
- Ornament frame, steel wire, 5-1/2 inch snowflake (1 ornament frame)
- Molding compound, Apoxie Sculpt, 2-part epoxy, white
- Mica powder, Gold Leaf and Metallic Powders, red russet
- Mica powder, Gold Leaf and Metallic Powders, sparkle green
- Hobby knife set, steel, 37 blades, 7 handles, 1 glue, 1 sharpening stone and 5 awls
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Place 5-1/2 inch snowflake ornament frame onto a nonstick surface such as Teflon or wax paper.
Mix equal parts of 2-part Apoxie® Sculpt and add small amounts of sparkle green Mica powder to the Apoxie until the desired shade has been reached.
Note: They must be equal for the epoxy to be activated and then to cure properly.
Add the sparkle green Apoxie to one of the inner kite shaped sections of the snowflake. Continue to add Apoxie to each of the adjacent kite shaped sections for a total of six sparkle green kite sections.
Repeat Step 2 using red russet. Add the red russet Apoxie to one chevron shaped section above one of the kite shaped sections of the snowflake.
Continue to add red russet Apoxie to each of the adjacent chevron sections for a total of six red russet chevron sections.
Allow 24 hours for the Apoxie to fully cure.
Cut one 10-inch length of Accu-Flex® professional-quality beading wire.
String onto the beading wire: one crimp, one Accu-Guard™ wire protector and the loop on the ornament frame. Pass the beading wire back through the crimp. Pull the beading wire so the crimp rests snug against the Accu-Guard leaving approximately 1/4 inch of beading wire on the end.
Crimp, then trim the excess from the short end of the beading wire.
Continue to string the following:
Pass the beading wire back through the crimp creating a loop approximately 1-1/2 inches. Crimp, then trim the excess from the short end of the beading wire.
One 8x8mm flower bead cap
Three white opal AB 6mm bicones
One 8x8mm flower bead cap
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.