Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Friendly Plastic®, Gold-Plated Brass Drops and Satin-Finished Nylon Cord
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic stormy blue with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid purple with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid red with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid gold and dark gold with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid pearl white, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid fuchsia with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Plastic stick by Friendly Plastic, plastic, opaque metallic solid silver with black base, 7x1-1/2 inch rectangle
- Drop, gold-plated brass, 31x23mm oval bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 30x22mm oval cabochon or flat-backed crystal (2 drops)
- Drop, gold-plated brass, 41x31mm oval bezel cup with serrated edge and solid back, fits 40x30mm oval cabochon or flat-backed crystal (1 drop)
- Bail, pendant, gold-plated brass, 10x4mm (1 bail)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 17mm kidney with 6x6mm star with open loop, 20 gauge (2 earwires)
- Cord, satin-finished nylon, red, 5mm smooth twist, 18 inches
- Top coat, Signature Series Magic-Glos by Lisa Pavelka, non-toxic dimensional gloss
- Torch, Micro Torch, steel and acrylic, black, 6x4 inches
- Pliers, chain-nose
Friendly Plastic Focals
Using scissors cut small confetti like pieces from different color sheets of Friendly Plastic® in different shapes and sizes.
Tip: Scrap sticks were used for creating this design.
Place a gold-plated 41x31mm oval bezel drop and two 31x23mm gold-plated drops onto a Teflon® sheet. Using tweezers cover each bezel cup with the confetti pieces in random patterns.
Carefully move the Teflon sheet, with the bezels, onto the flat surface of a candle warmer or electric griddle and turn to a medium low heat setting. As the plastic pieces begin to soften and melt together, use a toothpick or beading awl to manipulate the plastic and fill any gaps in each drop.
Caution: Hot Friendly Plastic sticks and can burn unprotected fingers.
Tip: Never leave Friendly Plastic unattended on heat source. When melting Friendly Plastic, avoid temperatures that are set too high, as it can cause scorching and undesirable color changes.
Cut out a Friendly Plastic 18x18mm heart. Place the heart over the melted confetti, centered in the 41x31mm oval bail. Allow the heart to melt into the rest of the design.
Repeat to place a 17x17mm heart in the other two drops.
Once the hearts have melted into their designs, remove the Teflon sheet from the heat source and lay on a flat surface.
Roll a small piece of clay into a ball and place on a ceramic tile or other flat work surface. When the plastic drops have hardened, place the 41x31mm drop face up on the clay so it is level.
Apply a thin layer of Magic-Glos® top coat to the center of the bezel. Set the drop aside for approximately 10 minutes to settle.
Repeat to apply Magic-Glos to the other two drops.
If the Magic-Glos has beaded up or pulled away from the edges too much, apply another thin layer.
If necessary, quickly flash a low flame heat source over the top of each transparency piece to pop any bubbles that may occur. Cure according to manufacturer’s instructions.
After the 41x31mm drop has cured, press the loop on the drop into a gold-plated pendant bail.
Pass the loop end on of one 5mm red satin-finished nylon cord through the bail.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers open the loop on one kidney earwire. Pass the loop through the loop on one 31x23mm drop. Close the loop.
Repeat to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.