Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal, Antiqued Brass-Plated "Pewter" Focals and Kumihimo Leather Cord and Antiqued Brass-Finished Steel Chain
The Great Eye
-- Designer --
Jude, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, crystal red magma, 4mm round (6 beads)
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, jet, foil back, 3.8-4mm Xilion rose, SS16 (10 flat backs)
- Focal, Swarovski crystal, crystal red magma, 30x14mm navette pendant (6 focals)
- Focal, Swarovski crystal, crystal red magma, 40x18mm navette pendant (2 focals)
- Focal, antiqued brass-plated ''pewter,'' (zinc-based alloy), 53x29mm crescent moon, 2/5 loops (2 focals)
- Cone, antiqued gold-plated brass, 11x10mm beaded hexagonal, 7x6mm hole (6 cones)
- Jumpring, antiqued gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 18 gauge (6 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 10mm round, 18 gauge (6 jumprings)
- Earwire, antiqued gold-plated brass, 16mm leverback with 6x3mm shell and open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, toggle, antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 18mm double-sided beaded round (1 clasp)
- Cord, leather, red, 1mm
- Chain, antiqued brass-finished steel, 5x3mm patterned cable link
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 26 gauge
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 22 gauge
- Adhesive, Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy, 2-part
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 Gel
- Kumihimo disk, EVA foam, white and black, 4-1/4 inch round with 22mm inside hole and 32 slots
- Adhesive, Loctite gel
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Focals, Swarovski crystal, navette
Using scissors cut six 8-foot lengths of red 1mm leather cord.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and bent-nose pliers separate two 8-foot lengths of antiqued brass-finished 5x3mm patterned cable chain.
Using flush-cutters cut four 1-foot lengths of gold color 26-gauge Zebra Wire™ and two 8-inch lengths of gold color 22-guage Zebra Wire.
Position the end loops on two antiqued brass-finished 53x29mm crescent focals so they overlap creating a circle. Pass the end of one 8-inch length of 22-gauge Zebra Wire through both loops on one side. Wrap the wire around the loops on the outside approximately three times to secure them together. (This is the top of the focal.)
Repeat to connect the loops on the opposite end, wrapping on the inside of the loops. (This is the bottom of the focal.)
Use a file to smooth the sharp ends of the wire.
Mix Devcon® 5-Minute® Epoxy according to manufacturer's instructions.
Using a tooth pick apply a small amount of epoxy to one of the settings along the center of the circle focal and to the back of one Swarovski jet SS16 flat back. Place the flat back into the setting. Repeat to add a flat back to each setting on the focal and set aside.
Match up the ends of the three lengths of leather cord and one length of cable chain. Double the cords and chain in half at the center creating six lengths of leather cord and two lengths of cable chain.
Tightly wrap the end of one 1-foot length of 26-gauge wire around the center of the strands approximately 3 - 4 times to secure.
Note: Do not cut excess wire.
Place the wire-wrapped center of the cords through the center of the kumihimo disc, and place the strands through the slots on the disk. Weave the cord in a basic 8 cord pattern until the cord is 14-1/2 inches in length.
Tip: Attaching a fishing weight is helpful in drawing the braided cord down through the center of the disk.
Tightly wrap the end of the braided cord and chain with the end of one 1-foot length of 26-gauge wire to secure.
Note: Do not cut excess wire.
Repeat Steps 5 - 7 to create a second length of braided cord and chain.
Place a small amount of Loctite® onto the end of one braided strand then string onto the 1-foot length of wire one antiqued gold-plated 11x10mm beaded cone and one Swarovski crystal red magma 4mm round. Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, round-nose pliers and flush-cutters, form a wrapped loop on the straight end of the wire.
Repeat to finish the opposite end of the braided strand.
Repeat to finish the ends of the second braided strand.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and bent-nose pliers open six gold-plated 10mm jumprings and four antiqued gold-plated 6mm jumprings.
Pass one 10mm jumpring through the top loops on the circle focal and one Swarovski crystal red magma 40x18mm navette focal and close.
Repeat to attach a 40x18mm navette focal to the bottom loops.
Repeat to attach a 30x14mm navette focal to the two loops on either side of the bottom navette.
Pass one 6mm jumpring through one loop next to the top loops and the loop on one end of one braided strand.
Repeat to attach the second braided strand to the loop on the opposite side.
Using 6mm jumprings attach one portion of one antiqued gold-finished beaded toggle clasp to the opposite ends of one braided strands.
Using flush-cutters cut two 6-inch lengths of wire.
Center one Swarovski crystal red magma 30x14mm navette focal onto one 6-inch length of wire. Bring the ends of the wire together above the navette and string one antiqued gold-plated 11x10mm beaded cone (open end first) and one Swarovski crystal red magma 4mm round. Form a wrapped loop on the straight end of the wire creating a navette drop.
Repeat to create a second navette drop.
Open two antiqued gold-plated 6mm jumprings.
Pass one jumpring through the loop on one navette drop and the loop on one antiqued gold-plated leverback earwire and close.
Repeat to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.