Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Antiqued Gold-Finished "Pewter" Focal and Slides, Cultured Freshwater Pearls and Mother-of-Pearl Beads
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, mother-of-pearl, 12x5mm teardrop (4 beads)
- Pearl, White Lotus, cultured freshwater, mauve and peach, 4-4.5mm semi-round with 0.5mm hole (8 pearls)
- Pearl, White Lotus, cultured freshwater, mauve, 6-6.5mm semi-round (4 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, white / peach / mauve, 10-11mm semi-round (4 pearls)
- Seed bead, Czech glass, metallic gold, #11 round
- Charm, antiqued gold-plated brass, 14x14mm single-sided flower, hidden loop (1 charm)
- Focal, antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 42x42mm single-sided flower (1 focal)
- Slide, antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 11x11mm double-sided flower (19 slides)
- Bead cap, gold-plated brass, 3x1mm ribbed round, fits 2-4mm bead (12 bead caps)
- Bead cap, JBB Findings, gold-plated pewter (tin-based alloy), 7x2mm flower, fits 8-10mm bead (8 bead caps)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 2-1/2 inches, 21 gauge (4 headpins)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 5mm round, 18 gauge (11 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 20 gauge (38 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 6mm round, 18 gauge (20 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 8mm round, 16 gauge (6 jumprings)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 16mm leverback with 3mm ball and closed loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, fold-over, gold-plated copper, 13x3mm (21 clasps)
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 26 gauge
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, flush-cutter
''Inspired by an original necklace from the 1830s, this architectural, chunky pearl necklace project is made using fold-over clasps as links with large cultured pearls to make a lovely bridal necklace that will transition seamlessly into a classic wearable style.''
- Jamie Smedley
Using flush-cutters cut eight 3-inch lengths of gold color Zebra Wire™.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers, round-nose pliers and flush-cutters form a wrapped loop on one end of one 3-inch length of wire.
String the following onto the wire:
Form a wrapped loop on the end of the wire.
One White Lotus™ mauve 4mm cultured freshwater pearl
One gold-plated pewter 7x2mm flower bead cap
One peach 10mm cultured freshwater pearl
One gold-plated pewter 7x2mm flower bead cap
One White Lotus mauve 4mm cultured freshwater pearl
||Repeat to create a total of four 10mm pearl links and four 6mm pearl links, using 6mm pearls and 3mm bead caps.
Open six gold-plated 8mm jumprings, thirty-two gold-plated 6mm 20-gauge jumprings, sixteen gold-plated 6mm 18-gauge jumprings and seven gold-plated 5mm jumprings.
||Pass one 6mm 20-gauge jumpring through the loop end of one gold-plated fold-over clasp and one loop along the edge of one antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' 11x11mm flower slide and close. Repeat to connect a second fold-over clasp to an adjacent loop on the flower link.
||Attach two 6mm 20-gauge jumprings to two adjacent loops on a second flower slide. Open the fold-over clasps from the previous flower slide and attach them to the jumprings on the flower slide creating a flower clasp link.
||Pass one 6mm 16-gauge jumpring through the single loop on the opposite end of one flower clasp link and the loop on one end of one pearl link and close. Repeat to attach a pearl link to one end of each flower clasp link.
Using 6mm 16-gauge jumprings connect the one 6mm pearl and flower clasp link, two 10mm pearl and flower clasp links and a second 6mm pearl and flower clasp link end to end creating a chain. Repeat to create a second chain.
||Pass one 8mm 16-gauge jumpring through the bail on one antiqued gold-finished ''pewter'' 42mm flower focal and one loop along the edge of one flower slide and close creating a flower focal.
Using one 6mm 16-gauge jumpring attach the flower focal to the 6mm pearl link on the end of one chain.
Repeat to attach the adjacent loop on the flower slide to the 6mm pearl link on the second chain.
Attach a fold-over clasp to the single loop on the flower slide on the opposite end of half of the necklace with an 8mm jumpring.
||Attach one 5mm jumpring to one antiqued gold-plated 14mm flower charm.
Connect the following using 8mm jumprings: the flower slide on the opposite end of the second half of the necklace, three sets of two 5mm jumprings the 5mm jumpring attached to the flower charm.
String the following onto one gold-plated 2-1/2 inch headpin:
Form a simple loop on the straight end of the wire creating a mother-of-pearl shell drop.
One gold-plated 3x1mm ribbed bead cap
One mother-of-pearl shell 12x5mm teardrop
One gold seed bead
Repeat to create a total of four mother-of-pearl shell drops.
Using 6mm 20-gauge jumprings attach one fold over clasp to each of two adjacent loops on one flower slide. Pass one 5mm jumpring through the two 6mm 20-gauge jumprings and close.
Using 6mm 16-gague jumprings attach one mother-of-pearl shell drop to the opposite end of each fold over clasp. Using a 5mm jumpring connect the two 6mm 16-gauge jumprings.
Using a 6mm 16-gauge jumpring attach the top loop the flower slide to the loop on one gold-plated leverback earwire.
Repeat Steps 2 - 4 to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.