Single-Strand Necklace, Bracelet and Earring Set with Seed Beads, Gold-Finished Brass Beads and Kumihimo Imitation Silk Cord
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, gold-plated brass, 3mm smooth round (2 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished brass, 15x10mm double tube, 4mm hole (2 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished brass, 21x6mm round tube with diagonally cut ends, 5mm hole (2 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished brass, 26x6mm twisted round tube, 5mm hole (2 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished brass, 41.5x7mm cutout oval tube, 6x2.5mm hole (1 bead)
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, iris green, #8 round
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, silver-lined medium gold, #8 round
- Seed bead, Delica, glass, iris green, #11 round
- Seed bead, Delica, glass, 24Kt gold-lined crystal, #11 round
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, metallic rainbow teal, #15 rocaille
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, 24Kt gold-finished, #15 round rocaille
- Cone, gold-plated aluminum, 21x6mm filigree with 4mm inside diameter (2 cones)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 4mm round, 20 gauge (6 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 8mm round, 18 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Ribbon crimp end, gold-plated brass, 9x5mm smooth rectangle (2 ribbon crimp ends)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 16mm leverback with 6x3mm shell and open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, tab, gold-plated brass, 12mm filigree round (2 clasps)
- Thread, Berkley FireLine, gel-spun polyethylene, smoke, 0.15mm diameter, 6-pound test
- Cord, imitation silk, black, 1mm
- Cord, Satinique, satin, black, 4mm large
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 20 gauge
- Adhesive, E-6000 Fray Lock, crystal clear
- Adhesive, E-6000 Jewelry and Craft Adhesive, clear
- Needle, steel, #10 economy, 2-1/4 inches
- Kumihimo disk, EVA foam, white and black, 4-1/4 inch round with 22mm inside hole and 32 slots
- Beading supply, Bead Stopper, stainless steel, 12mm
- Glue gun pad, silicone, clear, 8x8-inch square with non-stick heat resistant surface
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Cut the following: one 6-inch length and four 6-foot lengths black 1mm imitation silk cord and two 4-inch lengths Zebra Wire™.
Match up one end of four 6-foot lengths of cord. Fold the cords in half and match up the ends, creating eight strands.
Insert one end of one length of wire through the folded end of the cords then form a wrapped loop.
Insert the wire and folded cord ends into the center of the kumihimo disc then secure the strands into the slots on the disk. Weave the basic 8-cord spiral braid for approximately 5-1/4 inches.
Tip: It may be helpful to wrap the loose end of each length of thread in a Huggy Spool® to keep the thread from tangling.
String several Dyna-Mites™ iris green #8 seed beads onto one length of cord then attach a Bead Stopper™ to the end. Repeat to add seed beads to each length of cord. Continue the spiral braid pattern for approximately 5-1/4 inches, sliding one seed bead toward the center when moving each cord.
Continue to spiral braid pattern, without seed beads, for approximately 5-1/4 inches to finish the strand. Remove the cords from the disc then string one 26x6mm twisted round tube onto the braided cord.
Insert one end of one length of wire into the end of the braid then secure the ends of the cord and wire together with a whipping knot and trim excess cord. Apply a generous amount of E-6000® Fray Lock™ adhesive to the ends and the knot to secure in place. Allow to dry according to manufacturer's instructions.
String onto the straight end of the wire on one end of the kumihimo braid: one 21x6mm filigree cone and one 3mm smooth round then form a wrapped loop. Use one 4mm jumpring to attach on portion of the clasp to the wrapped loop.
Repeat Steps 5 and 6 to finish the opposite end of the kumihimo braid.
Cut one 6-foot length of smoke FireLine® thread. Thread a beading needle almost doubling the thread (to make it easier to work with) but leaving a tail so you are working with only one thread.
Place a Bead Stopper on the opposite end of the thread leaving an approximately 6-inch tail.
Tip: It may be necessary to cut other lengths of thread later in the design.
String four #11 seed beads onto the thread in the pattern of your choice. Continue to string on #11 seed bead then pass the needle through the third seed bead, from the last, then pull the thread to tighten the beads.
Continue to string one #11 seed bead. Skip one seed bead from the previous row then pass the needle through the last bead, pulling the thread tight. Continue the peyote stitch moving back and forth in rows for approximately 6-1/2 inches (depending on the desired length of the bracelet).
Pass the thread back through adjacent seed beads in the existing rows of the peyote stitch to secure then trim excess thread.
Cut one 6-foot length of FireLine then thread a needle. Pass the needle through the last row of seed beads, leaving a 6-inch tail. Then continue through adjacent seed beads in the last couple rows to secure. Exit through a seed bead on one end of the last row.
String three #15 rocailles onto the thread. Push the beads close to the #11 seed bead from the peyote stitch. Pass the needle through the second #15 seed bead then string one #15 seed bead.
Pass the needle through the next #11 seed bead along the edge of the peyote stitch then up through the next adjacent seed bead along the edge.
Repeat to add #15 seed bead fringe along the edge of the peyote stitch for approximately 2-1/2 inches.
Pass the needle through adjacent seed beads to the opposite edge then repeat Step 4 to add fringe to the section of peyote stitch then secure and trim excess thread.
String one 41.5x7mm cutout oval tube onto the opposite end of the peyote stitch strip then repeat Steps 4 and 5 to add #15 seed bead fringe to the remainder of the peyote stitch strip.
Attach one ribbon crimp end to each end of the peyote stitch strip.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through the loop on one portion of the 12mm tab clasp and the loop on one ribbon crimp end then close. Repeat to attach the second portion of the clasp to the opposite end of the bracelet.
Cut two 6-foot lengths of smoke FireLine thread and one 5-inch length of black 1mm Satinique™ satin cord.
Attach one 4mm jumpring to the loop on one leverback earwire. Pass one 8mm jumpring through the previous jumpring then close. Repeat to attach a second jumpring creating double jumprings.
Thread a needle onto one length of FireLine. Place a Bead Stopper on the opposite end of the thread leaving an approximately 6-inch tail.
String enough #11 seed beads to wrap around the diameter of the length of cord then create a tubular peyote stitch for approximately 1/2 inch. Secure the thread then trim excess thread.
Repeat to create a second peyote stitch tube.
String onto one end of the length of cord:
One peyote stitch tube
One 21x6mm diagonally cut tube
One peyote stitch tube
One hole in one 15x10mm double tube
The double jumprings attached to the earwire
Apply E-6000 to each end of the cord then insert each end of the cord into the second hole in the double tube. Set aside to dry according to manufacturer's instructions.
Repeat Steps 1 - 5 to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.