Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Miyuki Seed Beads, Zebra Wire and Gold-Finished Brass Pendant Cage
-- Designer --
Jude, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jude Wroblewski, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, opaque Picasso white, 7x4mm long magatama
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, opaque Picasso black, 7x4mm long magatama
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, transparent Picasso amber brown, 7x4mm long magatama
- Seed bead, Miyuki, glass, opaque Picasso antique turquoise blue, 7x4mm long magatama
- Pendant cage, gold-finished brass, 25.5x24.5mm single-sided hinged heart with cutout flower and 18.5x14mm heart setting (1 pendant cage)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 4mm round, 2.4mm inside diameter, 20 gauge (1 jumpring)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 6mm twisted round, 3.6mm inside diameter, 16 gauge (1 jumpring)
- Eyepin, gold-plated brass, 1 inch, 21 gauge (12 eyepins)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 1 inch, 21 gauge (8 headpins)
- Bead cap, gold-plated brass, 15x10mm leaf, fits 15-18mm bead (6 bead caps)
- Wire, Zebra Wire, brass, gold color, round, 22 gauge
- Wire, Zebra Wire, color-coated copper, brown, round, 28 gauge
- Wire, Zebra Wire, color-coated copper, purple, round, 28 gauge
- Earnut, gold-plated brass, 4.5mm round (2 earnuts)
- Earstud, gold-plated brass and stainless steel, 10mm filigree dome with closed loop (2 earstuds)
- Clasp, swivel clip, gold-plated brass and steel, 22x8mm (1 clasp)
- Dye-oxide, Swellegant!, violet
- Dye-oxide, Swellegant!, aqua green
- Sealant, Swellegant!, matte clear
- Cleaner, EZ Brite
- Viking Knit tool, Lazee Daizee, plastic, rod with pin tool
- Viking Knit tool, Lazee Daizee Draw Plate, plastic, flat rectangle
- Craft brush, wood / horsehair / aluminum
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Following the directions in the Viking Knit set, using both purple and brown Zebra Wire™, weave a 13-inch length of wire tubing, following a 6-loop Viking Knit pattern. Draw the wire-tubing through the 1/8 inch diameter opening on the draw plate.
Note: This design uses two separate colored wires woven together as if they are one. Keep the wires together through each step of the Viking Knit pattern.
View the ''Viking Knit Made Using the Lazee Daizee™'' illustrated instructions for more information.
Add a single 7x4mm long magatama seed bead (in the color of your choice) to each consecutive loop. Continue the beaded weave until it is approximately 6 inches long.
Finish the Viking Knit with a section of weave approximately 1 inch in length.
Tip: Due to the spiraling nature of the weave, you may find it easier to work with a pattern of seed beads by laying them out as desired on a flat surface beforehand.
Remove the weave from the Lazee Daizee tool then add draw handles (using separate lengths of wire) to each end-loop on the short weave end of the design. Carefully pull the end wires graduating the tube to approximately 1/8 inch diameter. Remove the draw handles.
Cut one 1-1/2 inch length of gold-colored wire then pass through each end-loop of one end of the Viking Knit weave. Form a wrapped loop.
On the short weave end of the strand pass a 4mm jumpring through the following then close:
String onto the wire: one 15-18mm leaf bead cap (open end first) then form a wrapped loop. Close the bead cap around the weave.
One single-sided heart pendant cage
One loop of the Viking knit (close to the wrapped loop)
The wire of the wrapped loop
One loop of the Viking knit
Repeat to attach a bead cap to the opposite end of the strand.
Pass one 6mm twisted jumpring through the wrapped loop on the short small weave side of the strand and close.
Attach one swivel clip clasp to the wrapped loop on the opposite end of the strand using a 4mm jumpring.
Using EZ Brite® cleaner, clean and polish the front of the heart pendant, both bead caps and the swivel clasp.
Use an artist brush to apply a small amount of violet Swellegant!™ to the 6-sided star design on the pendant. Let dry for approximately 15 minutes. Repeat using aqua green Swellegant! to paint the remaining areas of the front of the pendant. Let dry for approximately 15 minutes.
Paint a small amount of aqua green Swellegant! onto each bead cap, as well as the grooves on the swivel clasp. Let dry, then finish with a coating of matte clear Swellegant! Let dry.
Using EZ Brite® cleaner, clean and polish one bead cap and one earstud.
Apply a small amount of aqua green Swellegant! to the bead cap and earstud. Let dry.
Apply a coating of matte clear Swellegant! over the aqua green. Let dry.
String onto an eyepin: two 7x4mm long magatama seed beads and one painted bead cap (large end first) and two 7x4mm long magatama seed beads then form a simple loop.
Repeat to create a total of two bead cap links.
String two 7x4mm long magatama seed beads onto a headpin (in the color of your choice) then form a simple loop. Repeat to create ten drops.
Repeat to create ten magatama seed bead links using eyepins.
Using a 4mm jumpring, attach a drop to each link.
Use 4mm jumprings to attach:
Repeat to create a second earring.
One link to the eyepin under the bead cap and the loop on the end of each leaf on the bead cap.
Repeat to attach the simple loop on the bead cap link to one earstud.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.