Single-Strand Necklace and Earring Set with Mussel Shell Drops, Czech Fire-Polished Glass Beads and Mother-of-Pearl Shell Beads
Ultra Violet Vibe
-- Designer --
Esther, Lead Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Czech fire-polished glass, amethyst purple AB, 3mm faceted round (86 beads)
- Bead, Czech fire-polished glass, opaque iris purple, 6mm faceted round (28 beads)
- Bead, mother-of-pearl shell, white, 5.5-6mm round (9 beads)
- Drop, mussel shell, dark blue, 10mm flat round (22 drops)
- Drop, mussel shell, light purple, 10mm flat round (23 drops)
- Drop, mussel shell, purple, 10mm flat round (25 drops)
- Crimp, sterling silver, 2mm cut tube with heavy wall, 1.2mm inside diameter (2 crimps)
- Jumpring, silver-plated brass, 4mm round, 2.4mm inside diameter, 20 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Eyepin, silver-plated brass, 3 inches, 21 gauge (2 eyepins)
- Clasp, toggle, silver-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 10mm twisted round (1 clasp)
- Earwire, silver-plated brass, 17mm fishhook with 2mm ball with open loop, 22 gauge (2 earwires)
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, nylon and stainless steel, clear, 49 strand, 0.019-inch diameter
- Chain, silver-plated steel, 2.2mm cable
- French wire, silver-plated copper, fine, 0.85mm
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Pliers, flush-cutter
The Chinese drop mussel shells in this piece have a lustrous appearance with one smooth, reflective side and one rough side. They are lightweight, adding movement, organic texture and a glistening effect to designs. The purple shades are right in line with Pantone's 2018 Color of the Year--Ultra Violet. This color of the year is the pinnacle of self-expression. In the natural world purple is a rarity, making purple hues such as ultra violet provocative. For centuries, purple has been a color powerfully associated with luxury and royalty, making this jewelry design a stunning on-trend statement. Learn more about Pantone's 2018 Color of the Year and browse other color-matched design ideas in the ...
Cut one 22-inch length of Accu-Flex® professional-quality beading wire and two 1/2 inch lengths of French wire.
Pass an open 4mm jumpring through the loop of one half of a toggle clasp, then close. Repeat with the second half of the toggle clasp.
String onto the length of beading wire: one crimp, one length of French wire and the jumpring added to one half of the clasp. Pass the beading wire back through the crimp. Pull the beading wire so the crimp rests snug against the French wire and the jumpring rests on the loop created by the French wire. Leave approximately 1/4 inch of beading wire on the end. Crimp, then trim the excess from the short end of the beading wire.
String onto the beading wire an iris purple 6mm round and an amethyst purple AB 3mm round. Repeat 11 more times.
String a 10mm mussel shell drop and an amethyst 3mm round. Repeat three more times. String one 10mm mussel shell drop and one 6mm mother-of-pearl shell round.
Repeat this sequence to string eight more sets.
String a 10mm mussel shell drop and an amethyst 3mm round. Repeat four more times.
Repeat Step 4 in reverse, then repeat Step 3 using the second half of the clasp.
Cut four 9-link lengths of cable chain.
String one iris purple 6mm round onto a 3-inch headpin.
String a 10mm mussel shell drop and an amethyst 3mm round. Repeat eight more times.
String an iris purple 6mm round.
Gently bend the beaded wire to create the desired curve. Form a simple loop, creating a beaded link.
Open a loop on the beaded link and pass through the first link of one length of chain then close. Repeat to attach a second length of chain to the opposite end of the link.
Pass an open jumpring through the last link of one of the attached lengths of chain, the loop of an earwire, and the last link of the second attached length of chain the close.
Repeat Steps 2 - 5 to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.