Belt with Suede Lace Cord, Swarovski® Crystals and Silver-Finished "Pewter" Drops
-- Designer --
LauraLynn, Jewelry Designer, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about LauraLynn, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Flat back, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, blue zircon, foil back, 3-3.2mm Xilion rose, SS12 (90 flat backs)
- Drop, silver-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 6mm round (10 drops)
- Crimp end, silver-plated brass, 6x4.5mm tube with loop, 3mm inside diameter (10 crimp ends)
- Jump ring, silver-plated brass, 4.5mm round, 20 gauge (10 jump rings)
- Slide, silver-plated steel, 39mm round (5 slides)
- Slide, silver-plated steel, 3x2-1/4 inch oval (3 slides)
- Cord, faux suede lace, lime green, 3mm
- Cord, suede lace, turquoise blue, 3-4mm
- Cord, suede lace, brown, 3-4mm
- Cord, suede lace, red, 3-4mm
- Embellishment positioner, Crystal Katana
- Adhesive, epoxy, Devcon 2 Ton Clear Epoxy, 30-minute, 2-part
- Adhesive, E6000 Plus
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
||Mix a small amount of 2-part epoxy as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Apply a small amount of adhesive to the front of a large slide then press on a crystal flat back. Repeat to embellish the front of three large slides then set them aside to cure.
Braid and Slides
||Thread five 12-foot strands of suede lace onto a large slide. Center the slide on the cords, lining them up as shown.
||Lift each side of each cord and use E6000® adhesive to secure it to the back of the slide. Set aside to cure.
||On one side of the slide, separate the cords into a fan shape. The left cord will always be the working cord.
||Move the working cord over the second cord, under the third, over the fourth, and under the fifth. Place the working cord in the right-most position.
Repeat this process to 5-strand braid approximately 2 1/2 inches.
||Thread the three center cords onto a small slide, bringing the slide against the braided section.
Repeat Step 3 to braid approximately 1 1/2 inches.
Repeat Steps 2 - 4 to add another large slide and another small slide.
||Braid the cord to two inches more than the desired length for one half of the belt.
Create an overhand knot at the end of the braid.
Repeat Steps 3 - 7 to braid and add slides to the opposite side of the cords.
Trim the cords to various lengths between 2 and 3 inches.
Add a cord end with loop to the end of each cord.
Use jump rings to add a round drop to the loop of each cord end.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.