Bib-Style Necklace and Earring Set with Swarovski Crystal
-- Designer --
Esther, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
: : : Materials : : :
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, jet, 2mm round (1,062 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, jet, 3mm Xilion bicone (110 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, ruby, 3mm Xilion bicone (168 beads)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, ruby, 4mm Xilion bicone (676 beads)
- Seed bead, Dyna-Mites, glass, opaque black, #11 round
- Component, gold-plated aluminum, 13mm perforated beading disc (2 components)
- Bail, Aanraku glue-on, 18Kt gold-plated ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 23x13.5mm with 13.5x10mm heart flat base (2 bails)
- Bead tip, gold-plated brass, 4x2.5mm side clamp-on with double loop (4 bead tips)
- Jumpring, 14Kt gold-filled, 4mm round, 20.5 gauge (4 jumprings)
- Jumpring, 14Kt gold-filled, 5.5mm round, 18 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Jumpring, 14Kt gold-filled, 6mm round, 16 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Earring, clip-on, gold-plated brass and steel, 14mm round flat pad (2 earwires)
- Clasp, toggle, 12Kt gold-filled, 11mm fancy round (1 clasp)
- Chain, gunmetal-finished brass, 1.5mm ball, 36 inches with 1-inch extender chain and lobster claw clasp
- Chain, 14Kt gold-filled, 3x2.5mm cable
- Chain, 14Kt gold-filled, 4x3mm flat cable
- Chain, 14Kt gold-filled, 7x6mm flat hammered cable
- Wire, gold-plated brass, 34 gauge
- Adhesive, GORILLA Epoxy, Impact-Tough Formula
- Adhesive, E-6000 Jewelry and Craft Adhesive
- Sheet, jeweler's bronze, half-hard with mirror finish, 6x6-inch square, 26 gauge (2 sheets)
- Jeweler saw
- Saw blade, steel, sizes 1/0 to 6/0, 5 inches
- Tool, rotary grinding and polishing set with case
- Drill bit, high speed steel and plastic, 1-1/4 to 3 inches with 1-4mm twisted bit
- Dapping block, wood, 1/2 to 1-3/4 inches, 6-1/4 x 4 inches overall
- Hammer, nylon with wood handle
- Bench pin, wood / steel / plastic, black, 7-1/2 x 2-inch rectangle with V-slot and C-clamp
- Punch, EUROTOOL, tempered steel, 5 inches with 3mm tip
- Flex shaft, Foredom, steel and plastic, black, 6-3/4 inch bench-style controller with forward / reverse and foot pedal speed control
- Handpiece attachment, Foredom H.44T, steel and aluminum, 5-5/8x1-inch with 1/4 inch diameter shanks
- Micro-mesh sanding pads, 2x2-inch square, 1500-12000 grit
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, flat-nose
Rubber cement, or glue stick
Tip: If you do not have graph paper, create a graph on paper with the lines at 1/4 inch intervals.
Using scissors cut out the graph paper heart. Glue the heart to one 6x6-inch sheet of jeweler's bronze using rubber cement or a glue stick.
Using a EUROTOOL® punch, create a divot at each 1/4 inch mark along the edge and each point where the lines intersect on the graph paper.
Insert a 1mm drill bit into the Foredom® flex shaft handpiece attachment; drill a 1mm hole at each divot point.
Press the bail onto the back side of the back heart component, toward the center of one lobe of the heart.
Repeat to attach a second heart glue-on bail to the second lobe of the heart.
String the following onto the length of wire:
- One Swarovski jet 2mm round
- One Swarovski ruby 4mm bicone
- One Swarovski jet 2mm round
Continue adding the three Swarovski crystal beads and wire-wrapping until the entire 2-foot length of wire is used leaving approximately 1 inch of wire on the end.
Note: Do not wire wrap the holes along the edge of the front heart component. They will be used later.
Let the adhesive dry according to manufacturer's instructions.
Pass the wire through the hole once more and through the corresponding hole of the front heart component.
- One Swarovski crystal ruby 4mm bicone
- One Swarovski crystal ruby 3mm bicone
- One Swarovski crystal jet 3mm bicone
- Two opaque black #11 seed beads
- Four 14Kt gold-filled 4mm jumprings
- Two 14Kt gold-filled 5.5mm jumprings
- Two 14Kt gold-filled 6mm jumprings
- Two 8-inch lengths of 14Kt gold-filled 7x6mm hammered cable chain
- Two 7-3/4 inch lengths of 14Kt gold-filled 3x2.5mm cable chain
- Two 7-3/4 inch lengths of 14Kt gold-filled 4x3mm flat cable chain
- Two 7-3/4 inch lengths of gunmetal-finished 1.5mm ball chain
Repeat to attach a bead tip to both ends of the second 7-3/4 inch length of gunmetal-finished 1.5mm ball chain.
Repeat to attach one 4mm jumpring to the bead tip on the opposite end of the ball chain and the last links on the opposite end of each chain.
Repeat to attach the loop on the ring portion of the toggle clasp to the second set of chain.
Repeat to attach the loop on the second glue-on bail on the heart component to the second set of chain.
String the onto the length of wire, one opaque black #11 seed bead and one Swarovski crystal ruby 3mm bicone. Pass the wire down through one hole adjacent to the previous hole.
Continue adding Swarovski crystal bicone beads and seed beads; and wire-wrapping until all of the holes in the perforated disc are used leaving approximately 1/2 inch of wire on the end.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
- ''Sawing Metal'' how-to video and instructions
- ''Inserting a Saw Blade into a Jeweler's Saw Frame'' how-to video and illustrated instructions
- ''Beaded Whip Stitch, How-To'' illustrated instructions
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is proud to feature your artwork, and we invite you to submit images of your favorite projects to the Customer photographs section. Here's how you can be included:
- Email your name and attached image to email@example.com
- Please describe your project (e.g.: necklace, bracelet, home decor) and include the main components of your design if known.
- If you've named your piece, please let us know!
- Photos should be a minimum of 500x500 pixels or (6.94 inches)
- To best showcase your artwork, place dark designs on a ligh background and light artwork on a dark background
- For additional photography tips, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the artistic credit of the artwork displayed here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.