Collar-Style Necklace and Earring Set with Feathers, Acrylic Beads and Gold-Finished ''Pewter'' Beads
-- Designer --
Anna, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Anna Sampels, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, acrylic, purple, 15mm faceted round (21 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 8mm round with closed loop (13 beads)
- Bead, gold-finished ''pewter'' (zinc-based alloy), 6mm round with closed loop (4 beads)
- Feather mix, Guinea, mixed colors, 2-4 inches (37 feathers)
- Bead cap, gold-finished aluminum, 8x2mm textured flower with cutouts, fits 10-12mm bead (42 bead caps)
- Cord end, fold-over, gold-plated brass, 8x3.5mm corrugated rectangle with 3mm inside diameter (17 cord ends)
- Crimp, 12Kt gold-filled, 2x2mm smooth tube, 1.1mm inside diameter (2 crimps)
- Crimp cover, gold-plated brass, 4mm round (2 crimp covers)
- Wire protector, Accu-Guard, gold-plated brass, 4x4mm tube, 0.5mm inside diameter (2 wire protectors)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 5mm round, 3.4mm inside diameter, 20 gauge (20 jumprings)
- Jumpring, gold-plated brass, 8mm round, 5.4mm inside diameter, 16 gauge (1 jumpring)
- Headpin, gold-plated brass, 1 inch, 21 gauge (3 headpins)
- Earwire, gold-plated brass, 16mm leverback with 7x2mm shield and open loop (2 earwires)
- Clasp, lobster claw, gold-plated brass, 10x6mm (1 clasp)
- Beading wire, Tigertail, nylon-coated stainless steel, gold, 7 strand, 0.015-inch diameter
- Chain, gold-plated brass, 3.5mm curb
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
- Pliers, crimping
This jewelry set has Mardi Gras style and fun written all over it with its colorful, flirty feathers and bold gold-colored detailing. The faceted acrylic purple beads are lightweight and offer an affordable alternative to glass beads and gemstones. They add a touch of sparkle and are ...
Match up the quill end of one small purple and one yellow feather. Place the quills in one 8x3.5mm fold over cord end. Compress the sides over the quills to secure them in place. Repeat to create a duplicate small feather drop.
Repeat to create a total of three sets of two feather drops graduating the size of feathers in each set.
Layer one purple, one yellow and one small green feather in a cord end then secure. Repeat to create a second three-feather drop.
Continue to create two- and three-feather drops as desired to create a total of eight feather drop sets and a single three-feather drop, using the largest feathers.
Pass one 5mm jumpring through the loop on one of the feather drops in the smallest set and the loop on one 6mm round then close. Repeat to attach the second feather drop in the set.
Repeat to attach each of the second smallest drops to a 6mm round with loop. Repeat to attach each of the remaining feather drops to 8mm rounds.
Cut one 18-inch length of Accu-Flex® professional-quality beading wire and one 3-inch length of 3.5mm curb chain.
String one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap, one purple 15mm acrylic round and one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap then form a simple loop.
Attach the purple drop to the first link on the length of curb chain.
String onto the beading wire: one crimp and one Accu-Guard™ wire protector. Pass the beading wire back through the crimp. Pull the beading wire so the crimp rests snug against the Accu-Guard leaving approximately 1/4 inch of beading wire on the end.
Crimp, then trim the excess from the short end of the beading wire. Finish with a 4mm crimp cover.
String the following onto the beading wire:
Repeat this stringing sequence using one feather drop from each set, graduating the feathers.
One 8x2mm textured flower bead cap
One purple 15mm acrylic round
One 8x2mm textured flower bead cap
The 6mm bead attached to the smallest feather drop
Continue to string one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap, one purple 15mm acrylic round, one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap and the largest feather drop then repeat the sequence in Step 7 in the opposite direction to string the second half of the necklace. Repeat Step 6 to secure the strand.
Use one 5mm jumpring to attach the lobster claw clasp to the Accu-Guard on one end of the strand. Use an 8mm jumpring to connect the last link on the length of chain to the opposite end of the strand.
String one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap, one purple 15mm acrylic round and one 8x2mm textured flower bead cap then form a simple loop. Repeat to create a second acrylic round drop.
Use one 5mm jumpring to attach the loop on one acrylic drop to a leverback earwire. Repeat to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.