Multi-Strand Necklace with Cultured Freshwater Pearls, Swarovski Crystal Beads and Accu-Flex® Beading Wire
-- Designer --
Esther, Lead Jewelry Designer, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Esther Pollock, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, light rose, 6mm butterfly (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, aquamarine, 6mm butterfly (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, violet butterfly, 6mm (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, jonquil, 8mm butterfly (1 bead)
- Bead, Swarovski crystal, peridot, 8mm butterfly (1 bead)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, pastel colors, 4-5mm potato (16 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, bright summer colors, 4-5mm potato (22 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, pastel colors, 5-6mm potato (16 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, bright summer colors, 5-6mm potato (10 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, pastel colors, 7-8mm potato (16 pearls)
- Pearl, cultured freshwater, bright summer colors, 7-8mm potato (17 pearls)
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, spring green, 49 strand, .014-inch diameter
- Beading wire, Accu-Flex, blush pink, 49 strand, .014-inch diameter
- Crimp, sterling silver, 2mm cut tube (213 crimp beads)
- Clasp, box style, sterling silver, 20.5x12.5mm round, 2-strand (1 clasp)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 4.5mm round, 19 gauge (9 jumprings)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, closed, 5mm round, 19 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Pliers, side-cutting
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flat-nose
- Pliers, crimping
- Glues and adhesives
Using two pairs of chain-nose pliers, open a 4.5mm jumpring. Pass the open ring through a loop on one half of the clasp. Close the jumpring. Repeat to add another jumpring onto the same loop of the clasp.
Repeat to attach two 4.5mm jumprings to each of the loops on both sides of the clasp for a total of eight jumprings.
Cut one 14-inch length of spring green Accu-Flex professional-quality beading wire. String one crimp tube onto the wire. Pass the wire through the first jumpring added in Step 1 and back through the crimp tube, leaving one end of the wire approximately 1-inch long. Pull the crimp tight to the jumpring so the wire is formed in a nice curve. Place a small amount of adhesive inside the crimp (optional).
Using the crimping pliers, crimp the crimp tube. Using side-cutting pliers, trim the excess wire from the short end.
String onto the beading wire one crimp tube, one pearl, two crimp tubes, another pearl, following the pattern until eight to ten pearls are on the wire. String the pearls on in a random color pattern, generally graduating the pearls in size from smallest near the clasp to largest at the bottom. Measure 1-inch down the wire from the clasp and crimp the crimp tube. Slide the pearl up against the compressed crimp, then slide the next crimp close to the pearl. Compress the crimp tube.
Repeat Step 3, spacing the pearls along the wire in a random fashion, leaving approximately 3 inches of beading wire free of beads and crimps on the other end.
String onto the wire, one crimp tube. Pass the wire through a 5mm jumpring and back through the crimp. Compress the crimp tube 1/4 inch from the last pearl. Using wire nippers, trim excess wire from the short end.
Cut a 14-inch length of pink Accu-Flex beading wire. Repeat Step 2 to attach the wire to the second jumpring on the first half of the clasp.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to attach eight to ten pearls on the second strand. Having the pearls placed in a random fashion will add dimension, texture and interest to the finished necklace.
Repeat Step 5 to attach the strand to the same 5mm jumpring.
Repeat Steps 2 - 5 attaching a 14-inch strand of spring green Accu-Flex beading wire to the third jumpring and pink Accu-Flex beading wire to the fourth jumpring.
Repeat Steps 2 - 9 to create the second half of the necklace, attaching each of the strands to a second 5mm jumpring.
Using two pairs of chain-nose pliers, open a 4.5mm jumpring. Pass it through the two 5mm jumprings from Step 5 and Step 10, at the center of the necklace. Close the jumpring.
Cut three pieces of light green Accu-Flex beading wire: one 8 inches, one 8-1/2 inches, and one 9 inches in length. Cut two pieces of pink Accu-Flex beading wire: one 7 inches in length and one 9 inches in length.
String the first piece of wire through one of the 5mm jumprings until the wire is halfway through. String on one pearl and one crimp and bring them close to the jumpring. Compress the crimp.
Repeat to attach the remaining four pieces of wire to the jumprings in the center of the necklace (two on one 5mm jumpring, two on the 4.5mm jumpring and one on the remaining 5mm jumpring), with each of the wires doubled into two equal lengths.
String onto one half of one wire, one pearl, one crimp, one Swarovski crystal butterfly, one crimp, one pearl and one crimp. Randomly space the beads along the wire and compress the crimp directly below where the bead will sit on the wire. Leave approximately 1 to 3 inches of wire below the last pearl.
Repeat to place beads on the remaining nine strands of wire, randomly placing pearls and butterflies on the wire.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.