Bracelet with Jeweler's Bronze Sheet, Leather and Cord
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Eyelet, black-plated brass, 3.5mm with 3x2.4mm tube and 1.7mm inside diameter, fits 2.5-3.5mm hole (38 eyelets)
- Rivet, TierraCast, antique brass-plated brass, 5x4.5mm with 2.4mm shank and 1.5mm inside diameter, fits up to 2.5mm hole (28 rivets)
- Clasp, twist-in rivet, antique brass-plated brass, 12x9mm with 7mm flat round and 3mm shank (2 clasps)
- Thread, C-Lon, nylon, bubblegum, 0.5mm diameter
- Thread, C-Lon, nylon, light blue, 0.5mm diameter
- Cord, Hemptique, polished bamboo, brown, 1mm diameter, 20-pound test
- Cord, 3-ply bonded polyester twine, assorted colors, 1mm
- Leather scrap mix, brown tones, mixed shape
- Sheet, copper and zinc, jeweler's bronze, half-hard, 6x6-inch square, 22 gauge
- Metal coating, Swellegant!, bronze
- Cleaner, Penny Brite
- Adhesive, E6000 Jewelry and Craft Adhesive, clear
- Cutting mat, self-healing, composite vinyl, double-sided gridded rectangle
- Hobby knife, PenBlade, plastic and stainless steel, white and yellow
- Jeweler's saw
- Sharpening and polishing system, Jooltool, aluminum / plastic / steel
- Bench pin, wood / steel / plastic
- Rotary hole punch
- Hole punch pliers, EUROTOOL
- Pliers, hole punch
- Pliers, eyelet and rivet
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Using the template provided, cut a 6-1/2 x 1-7/8 inch rectangle from 22-gauge jeweler's bronze sheet.
Finish and smooth the edges of the metal cuff.
Note: View our ''Finishing Metal After Sawing'' how-to video for additional details.
Punch four holes in each short side of the cuff and ten additional holes on each long side, as shown on the template.
Brush Swellegant!™ bronze on one side of the cuff, then set aside to dry.
Using the template provided, cut out a 10-1/4 x 1-7/8 inch rectangle from leather.
Cut a 5-1/2 x 1-inch rectangle leather piece, starting approximately 2 inches from the end, as shown on the template.
Punch 19 holes along each side of the cut-out on the leather piece, as shown on the template.
Add an eyelet to each of the holes created in Step 4.
Note: View our ''How to Use the Adaptable Eyelet and Rivet Tool Set'' how-to video and illustrated instructions for additional details.
Cut a 2-foot length of each of the following:
Tip: Apply a small amount of adhesive to the ends of the cords, then set aside to dry, to prevent fraying in later steps.
Brown 1mm Hemptique® cord
Bubblegum 0.5mm C-Lon® cord
Light blue 0.5mm C-Lon cord
Khaki green 1mm twine
Loosely lace the cords across the cut-out of the leather piece in the design of your choice, leaving tails on both ends.
Lay the leather piece over the darkened side of the cuff piece, with an overhang of 2-1/8 inches on one end. Using the holes punched in one short side of the cuff as guides, punch corresponding holes in the leather.
With the larger piece of the rivet being placed through the leather first, apply a rivet to each of the four matched holes.
Repeat with the holes at the opposite end of the cuff.
Being careful to keep the leather taut and the laced cords from being cut by the hole punch or rivets, repeat the technique used in Step 9 to rivet the long sides of the leather overlay to the cuff.
Tighten the laced cords, knot, then glue under the leather overlay. Set aside to dry.
Bend the cuff and leather overlay into the final cuff shape.
Cut two 3mm holes near one end of the leather overlay, then add a twist-in rivet clasp to each.
Cut two corresponding holes at the opposite end of the leather overlay to complete the double clasp.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.