Earrings with Celluloid Plastic Components, Oh! Ring™ Silicone Components and Imitation Silk Cord
-- Designer --
Rose, Jewelry Production Specialist, Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Rose Wingenbach, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Component, Oh! Ring, silicone, neon blue, 5mm round with 2.5mm hole (120 components)
- Component, celluloid plastic, multicolored, 30x26mm double-sided guitar pick with circle design (2 components)
- Jumpring, aluminum, light blue, 4mm smooth round, 20 gauge (90 jumprings)
- Jumpring, aluminum, light blue, 5mm smooth round, 20 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Earwire, electro-coated brass, assorted colors, 19mm fishhook with 3mm ball and 4mm coil with open loop, 21 gauge (2 earwires)
- Cord, imitation silk, purple, 1mm
- Adhesive, Loctite 409 Gel
- Jumpring tool, opener and closer, nickel-finished pewter (tin-based alloy), 21x10mm, size 8
- Pliers, bent-nose
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, flush-cutter
Cut two 12-inch lengths of 1mm silk cord.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through two neon blue Oh! Ring™ components then close.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through the previous Oh! Rings and two more Oh! Rings, then close creating an Oh! Rings and jumpring chain.
Repeat this chain sequence to connect a total of 15 sets of Oh! Rings.
Pass one 4mm jumpring through the last set of Oh! Rings and the first set creating a chain loop, then close.
Repeat Steps 2 - 4 to create a second chain loop.
Connecting the Chain Loops
Pass one 4mm jumpring through one 4mm jumpring on each chain loop then close. Repeat to connect each of the 15 corresponding 4mm jumprings on each chain loop creating a bezel.
Insert one 30x26mm guitar pick into the bezel.
Note: The Oh! Rings should fit snug around the guitar pick securing it in place.
Match up one end of the two 12-inch lengths of 1mm silk cord. Tie an overhand knot in the center of both lengths of cord creating four equals lengths.
Thread two of the silk cords through the 4mm outer jumprings on one side of the chain loop starting at the top of the bezel.
Repeat to thread the two remaining silk cords through the opposite side of the chain loop.
Pass each set of two lengths of silk thread through the bottom two 4mm jumprings so that they overlap. Apply Loctite® 409 Gel to the section where the cords meet securing them in place.
Pass one 5mm jumpring through the cord loop at the top of the bezel and the loop of one fishhook earwire then close.
Repeat Steps 1 – 10 to create a second earring.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.