Single-Strand Necklace with Apoxie® Sculpt, Rhinestones and Glitter
-- Designer --
Jamie, Jewelry Production Specialist, Marketing Content Development Group, Exclusively for Fire Mountain Gems and Beads®
To learn more about Jamie Smedley, read her jewelry artist success story here
- Chaton, Swarovski crystal rhinestone, crystal clear, 1.8-1.9mm Xilion round, PP12 (43 chatons)
- Chaton, glass rhinestone, amber yellow, foil back, 2.0-2.1mm faceted round, PP14 (109 chatons)
- Cup, sterling silver, 5mm fluted with peg, fits 6-8mm bead (1 cup)
- Jumpring, sterling silver, 3x2mm oval, 24 gauge (2 jumprings)
- Chain, sterling silver, 1.25mm round cable, 24 inches
- Glitter, assorted Halloween theme colors
- Molding compound, Apoxie Sculpt, 2-part epoxy, pink, bronze, orange and natural
- Rhinestone positioner, acrylic and wax, white, 5 inches long
- Pliers, chain-nose
- Pliers, round-nose
- Artist brushes
Paint, acrylic, white
Mix equal amounts of the Apoxie® Sculpt (equaling approximately the size of a dime) for two minutes, or until thoroughly blended.
Work the Apoxie into an oval shape approximately 12x25mm. Smooth using a finger or a piece of non-stick worksheet.
Use a toothpick to create lines around each end and one line down the center creating the pattern of a football.
Using a rhinestone positioner place Swarovski crystal clear chatons along the center line and lines around the ends. Place three chatons on either side of the center line simulating laces.
Place glass rhinestone amber yellow chatons in rows over the rest of the pendant, leaving room for the bail to be inserted on one end.
Apply white acrylic paint to the lines over the crystal clear chatons.
Apply orange glitter over the entire pendant and gently press into the Apoxie.
Press the peg from a sterling silver 5mm fluted cup onto the chaton-free end of the pendant.
Gently press the pendant onto a non-stick work surface flattening the back. Reform the oval shape with fingers if necessary then set aside and allow 24 hours for complete hardening.
Use a paintbrush and alcohol to remove excess paint covering the clear chatons.
Using a pair of chain-nose pliers and round-nose pliers open two sterling silver 6x4mm oval jumprings. Pass one jumpring through the loop on the football pendant and close. Repeat to attach the second jumpring creating double jumprings.
Pass the ring end of one sterling silver 1.25mm 24-inch cable chain necklace through the jumprings and secure.
: : : Additional Resources : : :
The pieces featured in the Gallery of Designs are copyrighted designs and are provided for inspiration only. We
encourage you to substitute different colors, products and techniques to make the design your own.
Have a question regarding this design idea? Email Customer Service.